May 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Cardinals’ starting rotation is doing quite well thus far, leading baseball with an aggregate 2.07 ERA. Their bullpen, on the other hand, brings up the rear at 5.67. They have lost Jason Motte for the season as the right-hander will undergo Tommy John surgery. Mitchell Boggs‘ stint at closer was short-lived as his 12.66 ERA in 10.2 innings earned him a demotion to Triple-A Memphis. Marc Rzepczynski, too, was demoted to Memphis with a 7.88 ERA. It’s ugly.
What are the Cardinals to do about their bullpen? According to Joe Strauss, John Mozeliak’s hope is that 2005 Cy Young award winner Chris Carpenter will be able to rejoin the team in the summer and serve the team as a reliever as summer approaches.
This is no stunt or pat on the head to a veteran unwilling to concede the obvious. Both parties believe Carpenter can potentially address the gash to the bullpen’s starboard side.
“I’m candidly optimistic and excited about him contributing,” Mozeliak says.
Carpenter remains on the team’s 60-day disabled list, meaning he can not be activated sooner than the end of this month. Though no formal timetable is in place, Mozeliak thinks a projected return in late June or early July reasonable.
Though not the norm, it isn’t surprising to see an injured starter returning as a reliever. John Smoltz is an example that immediately comes to mind. Livan Hernandez pitched out of the bullpen last year with the Braves and Brewers after having made 474 consecutive starts between 1997-2011, though not with much success.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (68)