May 4, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Brewers Minor Leaguer Cole Garner, playing for Triple-A Nashville was ejected from last night’s game against the Round Rock Express for arguing with home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn. Garner had hit himself on the foot after swinging and the ball rolled into fair territory. Reyburn didn’t know, so he ruled that the ball was live and Garner was out on the play.
Garner argued with Reyburn, who ejected the outfielder from the game. The rest is sad comedy. Via Tom Haudricourt:
Nashville manager Mike Guerrero asked Reyburn to get help from the other umpires and after a group discussion they ruled the ball foul. But, because Garner had been ejected, Hainley Statia batted for him with a 1-2 count and struck out two pitches later – a strikeout that went on Garner’s totals.
So, Garner was correct in his argument that the ball was foul but was ejected and also charged with a strikeout in absentia.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)