May 4, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Once rated the #4 overall prospect in baseball by Baseball America going into the 2007 season, it has been a tough six years since for Phil Hughes. The right-hander entered 2013 with a career 4.39 ERA split between 103 starts and 49 relief appearances. Whether due to injuries, a lack of control, or a startling inability to miss bats, there was always something in Hughes’ way preventing him from enjoying success at the Major League level. Yankees fans either had already run out of patience with him or were nearing the tipping point.
After tossing eight shut-out innings against the Athletics today, Hughes has logged his fourth consecutive quality start dating back to April 18. In those four starts, he has thrown 28 innings, allowed six earned runs (1.93 ERA), struck out 30, walked five, and surrendered just two homers. This afternoon, his fastball averaged 93 MPH and hit 95 on occasion.
In his post-game press conference, manager Joe Girardi credited his pitcher’s success to mixing up his pitches as he went through the lineup the second and third time. Over his career, Hughes has gotten progressively worse with each trip through the lineup, allowing a .689 OPS the first time through, .794 the second time, and .845 the third.
It remains to be seen whether this is just a run of hot starts for Hughes or if the 26-year-old has finally turned the corner.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)