May 4, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte throws with his right hand, but if you tuned in for the top of the fourth inning this afternoon as the Pirates battled the Nationals, you never would have known it. Leading off the inning, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman laced a line drive down the left field line. It took an unexpected carom off the wall in the corner and Marte had to chase the ball as it rolled towards left-center.
In the chaos, it was easy to miss, but MASN broadcaster F.P. Santangelo questioned if Marte’s glove was on the wrong hand. Replays showed that Marte was carrying his glove in his right hand — his throwing hand.
(Hat tip to @CrashburnAlley on the .gif. That guy is cool.)
It should be noted that Marte is otherwise having a great season. He hit his fourth homer on the year this afternoon off of Stephen Strasburg and entered the afternoon with a .328/.391/.491 line.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 15
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 35
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 62
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)