May 4, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
This is kinda weird: on April 24, Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija cut his hand reaching for a comebacker. He stayed in the game, bloody hand and all, and his blood got all over some baseballs. One in particular was just auctioned off by the Reds. They got $130 for it.
But wait! There’s also a cheating angle to all of this! Samardzija speaks:
“There was one that had the most intense amount of blood on it for sure because it lasted about five or six pitches,” Samardzija said. “I had more opportunity to get a little bit more action on it. I think that was the one if they kept it. I don’t know how they got it, but it’s pretty crazy.”
Does the “more action” mean that he was inadvertently doctoring the ball? WAS HE THROWING A BLOOD BALL?! DOES DIRK HAYHURST KNOW ABOUT THIS?!
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11