Tigers bang out 17 runs, 21 hits in rout of Astros

May 4, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera walks back to the dugout after being called out on strikes to give the San Francisco Giants the World Series during Game 4 of the MLB World Series baseball championship in Detroit Reuters

This is going to dent the ol’ run differential. The Astros entered the night having allowed 51 more runs than they have scored, among the worst in baseball along with the Blue Jays and Marlins. The Astros are comfortably in first place in that department after getting pummeled by the Detroit Tigers 17-2 tonight, bumping that run differential to -66.

The Tigers banged out 21 hits, including three home runs (two by Miguel Cabrera), and walked five times, scoring in eight of nine innings. Five of those eight innings were multi-run innings. Astros starter Lucas Harrell was on the hook for eight runs in 4.1 innings, reliever Jose Cisnero allowed six runs in 2.2 innings, and Paul Clemens allowed three runs (two earned) in two innings.

Meanwhile, the Astros were only able to push across one run on a Carlos Corporan solo home run in the seventh. Tigers starter Max Scherzer was otherwise on point all night, allowing three hits in total while striking out eight and walking two in eight innings of work. Al Alburquerque surrendered a run in garbage time in the ninth inning.

Surprisingly, tonight wasn’t even the Astros’ worst game of the season, pitching-wise. They surrendered 19 runs to the Indians on April 19 in a 19-6 loss.

1. randygnyc - May 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Harrell looked so good in his last start against the yanks last week. Didn’t see this game. Am curious to watch the archive in the morning. Maybe just the first 5 innings.

2. natsattack - May 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

-51 – 17= -68, not -66

• philliesblow - May 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Run differential. -51 – 17 + 2 = -66

3. 13arod - May 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM

the astros were starting to get hot what happened???

4. historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Go, Tigers! Grrrrr!

BTW, only two of our players failed to get a hit. One was Ramon Santiago, who subbed in late for Miggy after he went 4-4 and who has only appeared in 9 games all season. Guess who the other was? Urp. Depressingly, we left 9 on base. /sad face

• proudlycanadian - May 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM

It is about time that Miggy began to hit home runs. I was getting tired of all those singles.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hey, singles are nice…but they are rather like a kiss on the cheek. :)

• proudlycanadian - May 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I do like the RBI’s.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Me too! :)

• tuberippin - May 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Get a room, you two.

• historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Why is it that when I have conversations with guys on here, people have to say “get a room”? This is like the 3rd time. It’s annoying.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Annoying and juvenile.

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Damn, save some runs for today. It’s early, but would you say this is the Tigers Awesomeness <3 for the week?

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I hope not. I don’t think Tigers Awesomeness is finite. There’s more where that came from. I’ll be pretty grouchy all week if that was all our runs for the week. Be forewarned.

(PS In 2 weeks I’ll be in Texas to watch them play for myself. Eeeeeeeeeee!)

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Oh no, I didn’t mean all your runs for the week. That came out wrong.

My condolences for having to travel to Texas, but seeing them in person sure sounds like fun. Be sure to get your vaccinations up to date.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ha! Vaccinations.

I get to see family. Arlington’s a nice park. That woman my brother is married to is a Rangers fan, but other than that she’s alright. lol

Next week we are taking Mom to a game here for Mother’s Day.

• historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM

BTW, did we save enough runs for today too? LOL

• indaburg - May 6, 2013 at 6:19 AM

/wolf whistle

Hot damn…

5. wwttww - May 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Played against max and miggy today in fantasy… Yeah I’m losing.

• frank433 - May 5, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I played against Prince. I’m winning.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Booooo!

/throws peanuts

• frank433 - May 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hey, I’m not Brandon Inge overs here.

6. Ick McWang - May 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM

That’s video game baseball numbers. MLB 2K13′s All-Star team would have a hard time putting up those numbers.

7. jwbiii - May 5, 2013 at 1:24 AM

¡Si. . . !

8. manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I was going to say that perhaps it’s time for MLB to consider relegation, ala European soccer, but I don’t think the Astros could beat AAA teams regularly. I wonder if OG is relieved the Astros suck more than the Feesh or if he’s pissed his team can’t lead at anything.

• jwbiii - May 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

There are several reasons relegation wouldn’t work in MLB.

First: You could demote Minnesota and Houston, the two worst teams in each league, then promote Reno and Pawtucket. All of Reno’s and Pawtucket’s players are under contract to Arizona and Boston. How do you handle that? How do you compensate the Diamondbacks and Red Sox for the loss of their players? What do the Aces and Paw Sox use for their minor league systems? You could call the Astros’ players players the Diamondbacks’ AAA team and the Twins’ players the Red Sox’s AAA team and let the Aces have the Houston’s farm system and the Paw Sox have Minnesota’s farm system, but there would be a huge amount of compensation there. Who figures out how much and who pays?

Second: Ballpark sizes. Reno’s Aces Ballpark seats 9,100. Pawtucket’s McCoy Stadium seats 10,031. With revenue sharing, do you think that MLB owners would agree to drop a couple of 40,000 seat venues in exchange for a couple of 10,000 seat venues?

Third: Television. Comcast Sports Houston has a $3.2B/20 contract with the Astros. Fox Sports North has a $29M/year contract with the Twins. How would you resolve this and who pays the compensation?

Fourth: Territorial rights. The Red Sox would be about as happy having a major league team in Pawtucket as the Giants would be to have a team in San Jose. In MLB’s byzantine territorial ownership system, I’m not sure which teams “own” Reno, but you can bet some teams do. Who pays the compensation for that and who determines how much that would be?

• manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Just the existence of relegation in a sport that dwarfs MLB renders most of your points moot, but I guess it’s my own fault for not using the sarcasm font.

• rmcd13 - May 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

While he may not have gotten the sarcasm font, his response was well reasoned and not unnecessarily belligerent. No need for an argument or downvote. I actually enjoyed his response, so +1 from me.

• jwbiii - May 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No malice intended at all. I’m vaguely familiar with the structure of the English football league system and it is very different from organized baseball. The subject of relegation comes up a few times a year and whether the commenter is sarcastic or not, they do not seem to have considered organizational and economic structural differences. That’s all.

9. mc1439 - May 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM

It’s hilarious everyone is so desperate to label the Astros as a sorry team. Must still be soar we had Bagwell and Biggio for all those years. It’s been since 2007 so get the fuk over it. Quit acting like your team didn’t have some bad years. Eat sh!t Bud Selig.

• manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

No one is flying (soar) to any conclusions. 7-18 = “a sorry team.” Hey, at least your owner(s) didn’t spend a couple hundred million for an All-Star disabled list like mine.

• manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Oops, sorry, 8-23. Yeah, that’s better. When your record is worse than the Feesh’s you know you stink. No label needed with that stench.

• jwbiii - May 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Bagwell’s injuries limited him to being a not particularly good part timer by the time of their 2005 NL Pennant season.

• jwbiii - May 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Thumbs down person, which of my statements do you disagree with?
        Bagwell played 39 games in 2005. Is this not a part time player?
        Bagwell had an OPS+ of 94 in 2005 (average for a starting 1B is 118). Is this not “not particularly good”?
        Bagwell missed four months of the 2005 season with a shoulder injury and surgery and then never played again. Might not it be reasonable to suggest that his injury was the cause of his decline?

10. holographicribs - May 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM

José Miguel Cabrera Torres is quote adept at the sport of baseball, if I do say so myself.

11. aceshigh11 - May 5, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Wow.

That’s just a slaughter of epic proportions. I feel for Astros fans.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I don’t know how you manage. I’m numb for them.

12. blazertop - May 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Just wait TIL the Astros get to play Miami…..

• jwbiii - May 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

You’ll have a long wait. It won’t be this season.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ahh, buit when it happens, it’ll be like when India collided with Asia: both had nowhere to go but up.

13. tigertaz27 - May 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Am I suppose to be impressed the tigers scored 17 runs? It’s the frickin Astros!

14. tigertaz27 - May 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The Indians scored 19 runs against them

15. mblue24 - May 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Go Tigers!!!!

16. bryceharpersmojo - May 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

@ historiophiliac When(if ever)is Martinez ever going to get comfortable in the Batters Box again? It almost hurts seeing him struggle so badly like this. What are your thoughts?

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Dude, that’s been painful. He’s obviously not going at it 100% — you can tell he’s nervous and not feeling it. Of course he felt robbed of that HR Friday (and it kinda looked that way to me on the replay), and that probably didn’t help. He just hasn’t found his groove yet and hasn’t been the Mighty V-Mart of before. Fortunately, we have enough talent at this point that his smaller hits are still beneficial (ex: it wasn’t an HR Friday, but he still got an RBI out of it), and he can have some time to work it out. I hope he does it soon then, because Leyland has been subbing Don Kelly in for him and that doesn’t help us. It makes me wonder if V-Mart still has lingering injury issues, if Kelly is pinch running for him. I don’t think V-Mart is a work horse like Miggy or Prince, but in the back of my mind, I have some worry that Martinez may go out again. It’s probably unrealistic to think he’s going to come back like gangbusters from a year off, but I was hoping he’d come at it hard. Instead, it feels like he feels susceptible to injury again. At this point, I’m hoping he stays decent for now and picks up in the second half of the season.

Three legends off to Cooperstown