May 4, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
Rays shortstop Yunel Escobar was forced out of tonight’s game against the Rockies after being hit on the left hand with a fastball thrown by Jon Garland. Escobar left immediately and Ryan Roberts came in to take his spot on first base. After the inning, Roberts took over at second base and Ben Zobrist moved from second to shortstop.
Escobar was struggling, entering the night with a .174 average and .507 OPS. He is listed as day-to-day according to Mark Topkin. The Rays could continue to use Zobrist at short and Roberts at second, or they could use Kelly Johnson — who has logged 78 defensive innings in the outfield — at second as well.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)