May 4, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Rays shortstop Yunel Escobar was forced out of tonight’s game against the Rockies after being hit on the left hand with a fastball thrown by Jon Garland. Escobar left immediately and Ryan Roberts came in to take his spot on first base. After the inning, Roberts took over at second base and Ben Zobrist moved from second to shortstop.
Escobar was struggling, entering the night with a .174 average and .507 OPS. He is listed as day-to-day according to Mark Topkin. The Rays could continue to use Zobrist at short and Roberts at second, or they could use Kelly Johnson — who has logged 78 defensive innings in the outfield — at second as well.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 19
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)