Zack Greinke is ahead of schedule

May 4, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT

zack greinke getty Getty Images

After Dodgers starter Zack Greinke suffered a broken collarbone after Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin charged the mound on April 11, estimates had Greinke missing eight weeks — a mid-June return if everything went according to plan.

Greinke is ahead of schedule, though, according to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick:

He appeared to throw all of his pitches Saturday while being watched by pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, manager Don Mattingly and medical director Stan Conte, who monitored how hard Greinke was throwing.

Midway through, Mattingly stood in the batter’s box and Greinke worked on hitting different locations.

Teammates Chris Capuano, A.J. Ellis and Clayton Kershaw also were interested observers as Greinke showed no discomfort from the injury, making roughly 40 pitches.

The Dodgers would love to have Greinke back earlier than expected as their rotation has been a revolving door as pitcher after pitcher has fallen by the wayside. Presently, seven Dodger pitchers including Greinke are on the DL.

1. duckthefodgers - May 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM

BEAT LA…pitcher tonight couldnt make it out of second inning. Already forgot his name. lol

• jeffbd99 - May 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Yeah your staff has done so well 9 runs. Such a hater.

• duckthefodgers - May 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Got me on that one. Hell yea I hate the dodgers with a passion. What are rivalries for?

• manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I’ve watched the Dodgers/Giants since Marichal went after Roseboro with a bat and I still can’t generate your level of hatred. The best rivalries include at least a modicum of respect for the other team. Where’s the joy in beating someone you have no respect for?

2. manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM

He didn’t plunk Mattingly? Must not have been hanging over the plate far enough…

3. jeffbd99 - May 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Hurry back Zack, and bring a closer with you.

• duckthefodgers - May 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM

9 is better than 10 isnt it

4. badintent - May 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

word to Zack. next time , hit Carlos in the Head or the cup. back or arm smacks are gonna get you broke in two. Eat your Wheaties and take your HGH.Some Jacked3 would help too.

• manchestermiracle - May 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

That would assume Greinke threw at (San) Quentin on purpose, a pretty stupid assumption.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’ve seen at least 6 HBPs this season, and only San Quentin had the stupidity to go out and break someone’s collarbone.

But, he’s a hero for the Dodger basher set. Much like how the Tsarnaevs have inspired a whole nation of anti-American losers, I suppose.

Yes, I went there.

• badintent - May 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM

if yhou had bother to read several of the articles written on this incident, there was plenty of history already between them with beanballs, so it’s not a assumption on my part.Having attended on of the top baseball Division 2 teams in the country in Orlando, Florida, I had several friends that went on to pitch in the majors and discussed payback on hitters with me. Jim Bouton of the Yankees even worked out with our team , making a comeback as a Knuckleball pitcher. He stayed in our dorm and was a hit with the college girls. So yeah, I do know what I ‘m talking about when it comes to baseball. Never did the EA MLB stuff, too tame for me.But you enjoy it

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug