May 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
And a 15-day disabled list stint seems likely to follow, no matter what the test results show.
Bailey was able to steal Boston’s ninth-inning job away from Joel Hanrahan late last month, but he hasn’t appeared in a game in over a week due to upper arm discomfort. Bailey tried to throw a side session on Saturday but couldn’t make it through.
The Red Sox will go with a committee at closer for the time being, though Hanrahan could reclaim the gig.
Bailey has a superb 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 1/3 innings this season. But he has logged only 27 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 campaign because of various physical ailments.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)