May 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
And a 15-day disabled list stint seems likely to follow, no matter what the test results show.
Bailey was able to steal Boston’s ninth-inning job away from Joel Hanrahan late last month, but he hasn’t appeared in a game in over a week due to upper arm discomfort. Bailey tried to throw a side session on Saturday but couldn’t make it through.
The Red Sox will go with a committee at closer for the time being, though Hanrahan could reclaim the gig.
Bailey has a superb 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 1/3 innings this season. But he has logged only 27 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 campaign because of various physical ailments.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)