May 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
And a 15-day disabled list stint seems likely to follow, no matter what the test results show.
Bailey was able to steal Boston’s ninth-inning job away from Joel Hanrahan late last month, but he hasn’t appeared in a game in over a week due to upper arm discomfort. Bailey tried to throw a side session on Saturday but couldn’t make it through.
The Red Sox will go with a committee at closer for the time being, though Hanrahan could reclaim the gig.
Bailey has a superb 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 1/3 innings this season. But he has logged only 27 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 campaign because of various physical ailments.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)