May 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
And a 15-day disabled list stint seems likely to follow, no matter what the test results show.
Bailey was able to steal Boston’s ninth-inning job away from Joel Hanrahan late last month, but he hasn’t appeared in a game in over a week due to upper arm discomfort. Bailey tried to throw a side session on Saturday but couldn’t make it through.
The Red Sox will go with a committee at closer for the time being, though Hanrahan could reclaim the gig.
Bailey has a superb 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 1/3 innings this season. But he has logged only 27 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 campaign because of various physical ailments.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 48
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)