May 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
And a 15-day disabled list stint seems likely to follow, no matter what the test results show.
Bailey was able to steal Boston’s ninth-inning job away from Joel Hanrahan late last month, but he hasn’t appeared in a game in over a week due to upper arm discomfort. Bailey tried to throw a side session on Saturday but couldn’t make it through.
The Red Sox will go with a committee at closer for the time being, though Hanrahan could reclaim the gig.
Bailey has a superb 1.46 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 1/3 innings this season. But he has logged only 27 2/3 total frames since the start of the 2012 campaign because of various physical ailments.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)