May 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
If one were to only look at his stats, one would never guess that David Ortiz has been suffering from an Achilles injury on his right foot. The injury knocked Ortiz out of 70 games last season and knocked him out of the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Since returning on April 20, however, Ortiz has logged a hit in all 13 games, including today when he extended his overall streak — which extends back to July 2 last year — with a two-run home run off of Yu Darvish in the first inning.
Ortiz entered the afternoon with a .447/.471/.809 line and was hitting .442/.524/.733 during the 24-game stretch. Now 37 years old, not even a severe foot injury can slow Ortiz down.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)