May 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
If one were to only look at his stats, one would never guess that David Ortiz has been suffering from an Achilles injury on his right foot. The injury knocked Ortiz out of 70 games last season and knocked him out of the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Since returning on April 20, however, Ortiz has logged a hit in all 13 games, including today when he extended his overall streak — which extends back to July 2 last year — with a two-run home run off of Yu Darvish in the first inning.
Ortiz entered the afternoon with a .447/.471/.809 line and was hitting .442/.524/.733 during the 24-game stretch. Now 37 years old, not even a severe foot injury can slow Ortiz down.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)