May 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
If one were to only look at his stats, one would never guess that David Ortiz has been suffering from an Achilles injury on his right foot. The injury knocked Ortiz out of 70 games last season and knocked him out of the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Since returning on April 20, however, Ortiz has logged a hit in all 13 games, including today when he extended his overall streak — which extends back to July 2 last year — with a two-run home run off of Yu Darvish in the first inning.
Ortiz entered the afternoon with a .447/.471/.809 line and was hitting .442/.524/.733 during the 24-game stretch. Now 37 years old, not even a severe foot injury can slow Ortiz down.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)