May 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
If one were to only look at his stats, one would never guess that David Ortiz has been suffering from an Achilles injury on his right foot. The injury knocked Ortiz out of 70 games last season and knocked him out of the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Since returning on April 20, however, Ortiz has logged a hit in all 13 games, including today when he extended his overall streak — which extends back to July 2 last year — with a two-run home run off of Yu Darvish in the first inning.
Ortiz entered the afternoon with a .447/.471/.809 line and was hitting .442/.524/.733 during the 24-game stretch. Now 37 years old, not even a severe foot injury can slow Ortiz down.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)