May 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
If one were to only look at his stats, one would never guess that David Ortiz has been suffering from an Achilles injury on his right foot. The injury knocked Ortiz out of 70 games last season and knocked him out of the first three weeks of the 2013 season. Since returning on April 20, however, Ortiz has logged a hit in all 13 games, including today when he extended his overall streak — which extends back to July 2 last year — with a two-run home run off of Yu Darvish in the first inning.
Ortiz entered the afternoon with a .447/.471/.809 line and was hitting .442/.524/.733 during the 24-game stretch. Now 37 years old, not even a severe foot injury can slow Ortiz down.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)