May 5, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Diamondbacks shortstop Didi Gregorius homered on the first pitch he saw this season, a Phil Hughes fastball that went into the Yankee Stadium stands in left-center. A week later Gregorius was hit in the head with a Josh Outman fastball and had to go on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Gregorius was activated for today’s game, the series finale in San Diego. As if on cue, the 23-year-old homered in his first at-bat back, taking an Edinson Volquez sinker out to right field. In 30 plate appearances, Gregorius was carrying a .407/.448/.778 line up until he was injured, and has only improved that with his performance today against the Padres.
The D-Backs acquired Gregorius from the Cincinnati Reds in a three-way trade in December and he was rated the #63 overall prospect by MLB.com heading into the 2013 season.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)