Miguel Cabrera is currently on pace for 201 RBI

May 5, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT

miguel cabrera getty Getty Images

RBI is not a predictive stat and it relies far too heavily on the performance of others, but let’s just go ahead and note that — here on May 5 — Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera is on pace to drive in 201 runs.

Cabrera went 4-for-4 with two homers and six RBI in Detroit’s 17-2 rout of the Astros on Saturday night at Minute Maid Park and now boasts a .390/.467/.627 batting line, six home runs, eight doubles, 26 runs scored and 36 RBI through 137 plate appearances this year. He’s drawn 16 walks — two intentional.

“I was feeling good out there today,” the 30-year-old third baseman told reporters late Saturday. “I was swinging the bat good, and when you swing the bat good, good things happen.”

Hack Wilson set the single-season RBI record in 1930 at 191. Lou Gehrig had 184 RBI in 1931.

The only modern player high on that leaderboard is Manny Ramirez, who had 165 RBI in 1999.

1. ireportyoudecide - May 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

He’s pretty good.

2. historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I love that picture. Miggy is — as Rod Allen would say — cheesing like a Ches cat in it.

I really hate that even when noting someone’s RBI numbers some people feel the need to belittle that. Yes, it does depend to a certain extent on the performance of others, but it does also provide PART OF the value of a player to his team. One of the many reasons Miggy is more valuable than others on the team (read: Don Kelly) is the fact that he can bring guys home — and you need runs to win games. You can’t win if you don’t score/always have men LOB. It’s a team sport, so to some extent, isolating individual numbers gets squishy. You individualists kill me.

• paperlions - May 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yes, but the fact that he can bring guys home is already accounted for by other contributions.

To me, it isn’t “belittling” RBI, it is just stating what it is the stat really measures, which isn’t nearly as useful or indicative of individual performance/contribution as many other options.

Miggy’s extensive awesome can be noted in may ways without ever referring to RBI.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Perhaps you should stop thinking of it solely as an individual stat.

• paperlions - May 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

But it is presented as an individual stat….and it IS an individual stat. Sorry, but saying that one should think of a stat that is always attributed to an individual as something other than an individual stat is stupid.

Perhaps you should stop assigning value to poor metrics of contributions. RBI is as useless for understanding offense as fielding % and pitcher wins are for fielding and pitching.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for calling me stupid. You can look at it however you want, but I look it as an easy value indicator (and before you freak out — not the only one or a complete one). It gets at that grey area about his role on the team — not his offensive value individually. This is one of those things that’s about value rather than performance (diff between best player and most valuable player). If you don’t care for the stat, ignore it. I swear, your individualism colors everything. (politics…giggling). You want to put these concrete dividers between team performance and individual play. The two intersect and it may be hard to try to assess that (hence we have these vague stats) but that doesn’t mean we ought not to try.

• paperlions - May 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I didn’t call you stupid, just the comment.

Everyone that defends RBI does so because they view it as an individual stat…if it was not an individual stat then it wouldn’t be ascribed to a particular player…indeed, the stat wouldn’t even exist, as “team” RBI is really no different than runs scored.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Sometimes I think you just don’t want to hear what I am saying. Dang, you’re ornery. How do you measure someone’s value to the team? How would you rank them in value to it? I’m pretty sure I know what your answer is, but we’ll see.

I was teasing you about calling me stupid.

• Mark - May 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I agree with you 100% about RBI and how worthless they are. I’m more impressed by how effective he’s been in situations with RISP:

Bases Empty: 294/368/451
        Runners on: 451/529/732
        RISP: 535/611/837
        RISP 2 out: 625/700/1.188

Those are video game type numbers with guys on. For his career he’s generally been effective with RISP, but this year he’s just been unstoppable with guys on.

• 2dmo4 - May 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Rod Allen is an idiot.

3. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Well takes a backseat to Good yet again, but when you’re Miggy no one cares

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Well, I think people take into consideration that English is not his first language and he is fairly self-conscious about his English-speaking skills. However, I’m sure the literati he works around on a daily basis are helping to correct his language deficiencies.

BTW, you might want to work on the grammar and punctuation in your own post, as well.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It wouldn’t make a difference if English was his 1st language, I’m proof of that

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Ok, fine. Burn yourself up about a baseball player’s language skills then (but, also, you still had errors in your post, smarty pants).

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Burn myself up? You’re the one who is seemingly upset over a lil joke about good vs well. I’m a Tiger fan and I’m finding you amusing right now. You just ended a sentence with “then” btw but you don’t see me yammering about it do you?

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

But hey, don’t get yourself in a tissy. At least I didn’t say something along the lines of how amazing it is how we overlook wife beaters who can hit a baseball.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It’s “tizzy,” and while I don’t know all the details of his personal life, my understanding is that there have been no incidents of that subsequent to his treatment for alcoholism and that he and his wife have dealt with that. I did not say you had to like him as a human being, if you do not wish to do so, and this post is not about any humanitarian work on his part.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

LOL you’re a trip man

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Hey, thanks, man. You aren’t.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Clown, Punctuation, Bro

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM

These guys we like to watch are, for the most part, neither scholars nor saints. Let’s stick to baseball, Ty?

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Nah, spare me the stick to baseball clap-trap k? thanks. The blogs here don’t and the comment sections don’t either. Some kids or thin skinned adults need to be able to get over attempts at a joke, rather than getting sooky because one of their own was teased.

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, I understand. We rarely stick to baseball. But you’re playing the escalation game.

My point still stands–most of these guys are neither saints nor scholars. I don’t condone domestic violence. I’ve been witness to it. It’s ugly. Do I joke about it? Sure. When stuff stops being funny, the terrorists have won. But I digress. Is it fair to bring up a several years ago incident to get a rise out of someone? That’s your game. If Miggy repeats that behavior, I can guarantee you that she and I will be the first to call for his head. Both of them.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Dude overestimates himself. Noted for the future: no convos w/ tycobb. tycobb = troll

4. Old Gator - May 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Scrooge McLoria sucks. Sucks. Sucks. SUCKS.,/b.

5. Old Gator - May 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Scrooge McLoria sucks. Sucks. Sucks. SUCKS.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

In this case, I’m not even going to apologize for the double entry, however that happened. Think of the first one as being for emphasis.

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Really, I was just impressed with your recovery time.

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I will thumb up both of your comments. He really does suck.

6. indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

201. When talking about Miggy, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

7. witeman10 - May 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Do people still think Trout is a better player than Miggy?

• historiophiliac - May 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Oh, shit. Don’t start that.

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

When Trout is 30, we’ll talk and compare. The numbers for 2012 still haven’t changed.

• nategearhart - May 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

There’s a difference between “had a better year” and “is a better player”.

8. 13arod - May 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

he would be the only one to break that record

9. wgray981 - May 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

100% convinced he is on steroids

• proudlycanadian - May 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I am convinced that you are on some derivative of H 2 O!

• indaburg - May 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I’m not even sure he’s on O2.

10. buffalomafia - May 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

He is taking HGH?!?! Watch this is next?!?!

11. nflfollower - May 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

May go down as the best hitter of the modern era….

12. ezthinking - May 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Triple Crown? Check.

.400? Hmmm……. Would love to see that in my lifetime.

13. barkleyblows - May 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Juice much?

• ryanprzy - May 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I don’t think Miggy is guilty of that.

Besides, there are no PEDs that can lock someone into the zone the way Miggy is at times. His mental approach at the plate and the way he sees the ball are largely the things that set him apart.

14. kollin7 - May 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Don’t know if he can get to 201, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he got say 160-180. If anyone can get to 200+ RBI, it’s probably Miguel Cabrera.

• ryanprzy - May 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Don Kelly probably could but he doesn’t get to play every day.

• historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Bahahahahahaha!!! Fool.

15. hollymeus - May 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM

manny the drug?

16. xjokerz - May 6, 2013 at 5:24 AM

You can’t stop miggy

17. rldavidson - May 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Lots of info here, but wouldn’t it be easier to SEE these numbers instead of just talking about them? Check out iCharts’ Chart Of The Day; a visual explanation of how Miguel Cabrera’s RBIs could blast the 1930 record:

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3016)