May 5, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
After getting rocked by the Marlins this afternoon, many speculated that Halladay was hiding an injury. Turns out they were right. Halladay finally confessed to having felt some shoulder pain after his April 24 start against the Pirates. GM Ruben Amaro says his right-hander is “likely” headed to the disabled list.
“He’s experiencing some shoulder difficulties, some shoulder pain, and we’re likely going to have to put him on the DL,” Ruben Amaro said. “[This discomfort] a little different than I think Doc has experienced. Up until now, he hasn’t really expressed any discomfort. But [Sunday], after the game and after the exam, it sounds like we’re going to have to go ahead and DL him.”
Halladay’s ERA rose to 8.65 after recording only seven outs and surrendering nine runs — the final four on an opposite field grand slam by Adeiny Hechavarria — this afternoon. While he has been able to miss bats, his control is significantly worse as is his command. Ken Rosenthal talked to “two baseball people”, one suggesting that Halladay “can’t repeat his delivery and release point”.
As Chris Branch and Leslie Gudel point out, Halladay has been very hesitant to admit to being anything other than perfectly healthy.
@chrisbranchtnj he laughed at me last year when I asked him if he was 100% healthy. A week later he was on the DL.
— Leslie Gudel (@lesliegudel) May 5, 2013
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 4
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)