May 5, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
After getting rocked by the Marlins this afternoon, many speculated that Halladay was hiding an injury. Turns out they were right. Halladay finally confessed to having felt some shoulder pain after his April 24 start against the Pirates. GM Ruben Amaro says his right-hander is “likely” headed to the disabled list.
“He’s experiencing some shoulder difficulties, some shoulder pain, and we’re likely going to have to put him on the DL,” Ruben Amaro said. “[This discomfort] a little different than I think Doc has experienced. Up until now, he hasn’t really expressed any discomfort. But [Sunday], after the game and after the exam, it sounds like we’re going to have to go ahead and DL him.”
Halladay’s ERA rose to 8.65 after recording only seven outs and surrendering nine runs — the final four on an opposite field grand slam by Adeiny Hechavarria — this afternoon. While he has been able to miss bats, his control is significantly worse as is his command. Ken Rosenthal talked to “two baseball people”, one suggesting that Halladay “can’t repeat his delivery and release point”.
As Chris Branch and Leslie Gudel point out, Halladay has been very hesitant to admit to being anything other than perfectly healthy.
@chrisbranchtnj he laughed at me last year when I asked him if he was 100% healthy. A week later he was on the DL.
— Leslie Gudel (@lesliegudel) May 5, 2013
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)