May 5, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
After getting rocked by the Marlins this afternoon, many speculated that Halladay was hiding an injury. Turns out they were right. Halladay finally confessed to having felt some shoulder pain after his April 24 start against the Pirates. GM Ruben Amaro says his right-hander is “likely” headed to the disabled list.
“He’s experiencing some shoulder difficulties, some shoulder pain, and we’re likely going to have to put him on the DL,” Ruben Amaro said. “[This discomfort] a little different than I think Doc has experienced. Up until now, he hasn’t really expressed any discomfort. But [Sunday], after the game and after the exam, it sounds like we’re going to have to go ahead and DL him.”
Halladay’s ERA rose to 8.65 after recording only seven outs and surrendering nine runs — the final four on an opposite field grand slam by Adeiny Hechavarria — this afternoon. While he has been able to miss bats, his control is significantly worse as is his command. Ken Rosenthal talked to “two baseball people”, one suggesting that Halladay “can’t repeat his delivery and release point”.
As Chris Branch and Leslie Gudel point out, Halladay has been very hesitant to admit to being anything other than perfectly healthy.
@chrisbranchtnj he laughed at me last year when I asked him if he was 100% healthy. A week later he was on the DL.
— Leslie Gudel (@lesliegudel) May 5, 2013
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 11
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)