May 5, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
After getting rocked by the Marlins this afternoon, many speculated that Halladay was hiding an injury. Turns out they were right. Halladay finally confessed to having felt some shoulder pain after his April 24 start against the Pirates. GM Ruben Amaro says his right-hander is “likely” headed to the disabled list.
“He’s experiencing some shoulder difficulties, some shoulder pain, and we’re likely going to have to put him on the DL,” Ruben Amaro said. “[This discomfort] a little different than I think Doc has experienced. Up until now, he hasn’t really expressed any discomfort. But [Sunday], after the game and after the exam, it sounds like we’re going to have to go ahead and DL him.”
Halladay’s ERA rose to 8.65 after recording only seven outs and surrendering nine runs — the final four on an opposite field grand slam by Adeiny Hechavarria — this afternoon. While he has been able to miss bats, his control is significantly worse as is his command. Ken Rosenthal talked to “two baseball people”, one suggesting that Halladay “can’t repeat his delivery and release point”.
As Chris Branch and Leslie Gudel point out, Halladay has been very hesitant to admit to being anything other than perfectly healthy.
@chrisbranchtnj he laughed at me last year when I asked him if he was 100% healthy. A week later he was on the DL.
— Leslie Gudel (@lesliegudel) May 5, 2013
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (157)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)