May 5, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rehabbing Angels reliever Ryan Madson tossed a bullpen session Saturday for the first time since undergoing a procedure last week to remove scar tissue from his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Madson felt fine during the mound workout, but there is still no timetable for his 2013 debut. He underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2012 and has run into multiple setbacks in his rehab. The Angels signed him to a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract this past winter and were hoping to use him as their primary ninth-inning man, but that job has stayed with Ernesto Frieri.
Madson, 32, had a 2.37 ERA and 62 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings as the Phillies’ closer in 2011.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)