May 5, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rehabbing Angels reliever Ryan Madson tossed a bullpen session Saturday for the first time since undergoing a procedure last week to remove scar tissue from his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Madson felt fine during the mound workout, but there is still no timetable for his 2013 debut. He underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2012 and has run into multiple setbacks in his rehab. The Angels signed him to a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract this past winter and were hoping to use him as their primary ninth-inning man, but that job has stayed with Ernesto Frieri.
Madson, 32, had a 2.37 ERA and 62 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings as the Phillies’ closer in 2011.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)