May 5, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rehabbing Angels reliever Ryan Madson tossed a bullpen session Saturday for the first time since undergoing a procedure last week to remove scar tissue from his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Madson felt fine during the mound workout, but there is still no timetable for his 2013 debut. He underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2012 and has run into multiple setbacks in his rehab. The Angels signed him to a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract this past winter and were hoping to use him as their primary ninth-inning man, but that job has stayed with Ernesto Frieri.
Madson, 32, had a 2.37 ERA and 62 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings as the Phillies’ closer in 2011.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)