May 5, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times reports that rehabbing Angels reliever Ryan Madson tossed a bullpen session Saturday for the first time since undergoing a procedure last week to remove scar tissue from his surgically-repaired right elbow.
Madson felt fine during the mound workout, but there is still no timetable for his 2013 debut. He underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2012 and has run into multiple setbacks in his rehab. The Angels signed him to a one-year, $3.5 million free agent contract this past winter and were hoping to use him as their primary ninth-inning man, but that job has stayed with Ernesto Frieri.
Madson, 32, had a 2.37 ERA and 62 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings as the Phillies’ closer in 2011.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)