May 5, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
With an 8-4 loss to the Orioles this afternoon, the Angels dropped to 11-20 on the season, ahead of only the lowly Astros in the AL West. What was thought to be a promising season for the win-now Angels has become a nightmare due to injuries, a putrid starting rotation, and an ineffective start to the season for Josh Hamilton.
In a column posted earlier today, Ken Rosenthal suggests this Angels team does not have Scioscia’s brand on it — the slow, poorly-defending, homer-dependent Angels look nothing like the pesky Angels of yesteryear.
Rosenthal also suggests an amicable parting between the Angels and Scioscia could be best for both parties, with Scioscia being traded a la Red Sox manager John Farrell.
Scioscia could take a year off like Francona, but that would require him to renounce his contract. Better Scioscia should sit down with Moreno with the two agreeing to part amicably through a John Farrell-type trade – only with a bigger return.
The Dodgers, Scioscia’s former team, would be the most obvious possibility. Moreno would recoil at the idea, but if he could parlay Scioscia’s reputation into a significant player or two, why not? The Angels could hire a new manager with new energy. And they would be better for it.
- The beauty of belief 12
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 31
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)