May 5, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
With an 8-4 loss to the Orioles this afternoon, the Angels dropped to 11-20 on the season, ahead of only the lowly Astros in the AL West. What was thought to be a promising season for the win-now Angels has become a nightmare due to injuries, a putrid starting rotation, and an ineffective start to the season for Josh Hamilton.
In a column posted earlier today, Ken Rosenthal suggests this Angels team does not have Scioscia’s brand on it — the slow, poorly-defending, homer-dependent Angels look nothing like the pesky Angels of yesteryear.
Rosenthal also suggests an amicable parting between the Angels and Scioscia could be best for both parties, with Scioscia being traded a la Red Sox manager John Farrell.
Scioscia could take a year off like Francona, but that would require him to renounce his contract. Better Scioscia should sit down with Moreno with the two agreeing to part amicably through a John Farrell-type trade – only with a bigger return.
The Dodgers, Scioscia’s former team, would be the most obvious possibility. Moreno would recoil at the idea, but if he could parlay Scioscia’s reputation into a significant player or two, why not? The Angels could hire a new manager with new energy. And they would be better for it.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)