Alex Rodriguez joins rehabbing Yankees in Tampa

May 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Getty Images

Third baseman Alex Rodriguez joined his injured Yankees brethren at a rehab facility in Tampa, Florida as the 37-year-old works his way back from off-season hip surgery. MLB.com’s Adam Berry reports that Rodriguez ran, played catch, and hit off a tee, great news for Yankees fans who have seen their team decimated — but not slowed down — by a slew of injuries to key players.

The Yankees are hoping Rodriguez is able to return in the second-half, but he wasn’t willing to set a date.

He wouldn’t even say for certain that he’ll be back on the field this season.

“I really hope so. That’s as specific as I’ll get,” Rodriguez said. “But I’m working 24/7 to get back on the field. There’s no surprise: The way the season ended last year was very embarrassing. It was very tough on me, and obviously, [for] our team, it was devastating, the sweep against Detroit.

“I have a lot of unfinished business. I’m looking forward to getting back and helping my team win.”

Over the last two seasons, Rodriguez has played in fewer than 70 percent of his team’s games, posting an .801 OPS in 957 trips to the plate. The right-hander, who had logged 700 or more plate appearances in five of seven seasons prior to 2008, has failed to cross the 600-PA plateau even once since then. He has 647 career home runs, leaving him 13 shy of Willie Mays in fourth place on the all-time leaderboard.

1. proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Spring training began a bit late for Arod. At least it is still spring. I do expect that he will play reasonably well after he returns in the summer.

• historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Doom!

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM

1) I see that the mouse is at it again. Quite often when somebody makes a negative comment in this forum, about a team that is behind during a game, said team comes back to win. Thus, I want to thank the mouse for his help in aiding the Jay’s 8 to 7 win over the Rays tonight.

2) So far, the Yankees have played well with their injured players; however, it remains to be seen if they are doomed by father time.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Hey proudly i see buehrle was on again tonight, 6 innings\7 runs\and only 2 HR’s tonight instead of the usual 3. Thats 11 HR’s on the season and i believe that puts him in the AL lead!!

2. cackalackyank - May 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I am hoping to see A-rod back later this year. I will be curious to see how his swing responds to having both hips repaired now. Wondering if he will be able to get around on and drive pitches that he was missing last year. I am hoping he gets a fair hearing on the biogenesis stuff, and can’t help wondering if that is behind the vagueness about a return date.

3. jthammerstix - May 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Didn’t he bang Madonna? Gross

4. 13arod - May 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

you guys know that he will lead the yankeeys to another championship

5. pisano - May 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I understood that sooner or later he would be coming back, but I for one certainly do not miss all his swinging and called third strikes. As cackalackyank stated, hopefully the hip surgeries will help him get around on the ball better and limit his strikeouts. One can only hope. At this point in his career, and with his huge contract I think the Yankees will have to hope for the best with the time he has left with them, and maybe he’ll get a second wind. I don’t see any other team that would want to take on that contract for a guy 37 years old.

6. badintent - May 7, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Did they op on his roids shrunken dick too ? Maybe the real problem is with his “bat” Cameron Diaz wants to Know.So does Kate Hudson , etc
    Buy out Mr. May.

7. theskinsman - May 7, 2013 at 4:07 AM

His unfinished business is taking every last cent the fools agreed to pay him, no matter how old, ineffective or injured he may be. Perfect.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4232)