May 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Third baseman Alex Rodriguez joined his injured Yankees brethren at a rehab facility in Tampa, Florida as the 37-year-old works his way back from off-season hip surgery. MLB.com’s Adam Berry reports that Rodriguez ran, played catch, and hit off a tee, great news for Yankees fans who have seen their team decimated — but not slowed down — by a slew of injuries to key players.
The Yankees are hoping Rodriguez is able to return in the second-half, but he wasn’t willing to set a date.
He wouldn’t even say for certain that he’ll be back on the field this season.
“I really hope so. That’s as specific as I’ll get,” Rodriguez said. “But I’m working 24/7 to get back on the field. There’s no surprise: The way the season ended last year was very embarrassing. It was very tough on me, and obviously, [for] our team, it was devastating, the sweep against Detroit.
“I have a lot of unfinished business. I’m looking forward to getting back and helping my team win.”
Over the last two seasons, Rodriguez has played in fewer than 70 percent of his team’s games, posting an .801 OPS in 957 trips to the plate. The right-hander, who had logged 700 or more plate appearances in five of seven seasons prior to 2008, has failed to cross the 600-PA plateau even once since then. He has 647 career home runs, leaving him 13 shy of Willie Mays in fourth place on the all-time leaderboard.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)