May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Pettitte has had two rough starts in a row. And he doesn’t chalk it up to the ebb and flow of the game:
“It’s a struggle. The issue is everything again. Everything you want to do as a starting pitcher I’m not able to do right now. I had no command of my fastball, wasn’t really hitting my off-speed stuff when I wanted to. It was just a battle again. You wonder what was going on in the last start, and then you follow up with this one … It’s been a long time since I hadn’t had a feel for my pitches.”
He says nothing is wrong physically, but it sounds like nothing else is right at all.
Bad starts happen, but it’s not often you hear a guy so open about feeling lost. Usually it’s all cryptic stuff about “gotta make some adjustments …” or whatever.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29