May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Pettitte has had two rough starts in a row. And he doesn’t chalk it up to the ebb and flow of the game:
“It’s a struggle. The issue is everything again. Everything you want to do as a starting pitcher I’m not able to do right now. I had no command of my fastball, wasn’t really hitting my off-speed stuff when I wanted to. It was just a battle again. You wonder what was going on in the last start, and then you follow up with this one … It’s been a long time since I hadn’t had a feel for my pitches.”
He says nothing is wrong physically, but it sounds like nothing else is right at all.
Bad starts happen, but it’s not often you hear a guy so open about feeling lost. Usually it’s all cryptic stuff about “gotta make some adjustments …” or whatever.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12