May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Andy Pettitte has had two rough starts in a row. And he doesn’t chalk it up to the ebb and flow of the game:
“It’s a struggle. The issue is everything again. Everything you want to do as a starting pitcher I’m not able to do right now. I had no command of my fastball, wasn’t really hitting my off-speed stuff when I wanted to. It was just a battle again. You wonder what was going on in the last start, and then you follow up with this one … It’s been a long time since I hadn’t had a feel for my pitches.”
He says nothing is wrong physically, but it sounds like nothing else is right at all.
Bad starts happen, but it’s not often you hear a guy so open about feeling lost. Usually it’s all cryptic stuff about “gotta make some adjustments …” or whatever.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)