Andy Pettitte sounds discouraged

May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Andy Pettitte AP

Andy Pettitte has had two rough starts in a row. And he doesn’t chalk it up to the ebb and flow of the game:

“It’s a struggle. The issue is everything again. Everything you want to do as a starting pitcher I’m not able to do right now. I had no command of my fastball, wasn’t really hitting my off-speed stuff when I wanted to. It was just a battle again. You wonder what was going on in the last start, and then you follow up with this one … It’s been a long time since I hadn’t had a feel for my pitches.”

He says nothing is wrong physically, but it sounds like nothing else is right at all.

Bad starts happen, but it’s not often you hear a guy so open about feeling lost. Usually it’s all cryptic stuff about “gotta make some adjustments …” or whatever.

1. mybrunoblog - May 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Pettitte has always been pretty open with the media. It sounds like he’s just thinking out loud here wondering about his command, fastball etc. I think he’ll be fine and recapture his command.
    Remember what Yogi said “90% of the game is half mental”

2. BigBeachBall - May 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Padres…

• fanofevilempire - May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

yup.

3. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Aging sucks. The guy’s given a great effort, but at some point, the years catch up to you (unless you’re Mariano).

I’m sure he’ll finish out the season okay, but it’s hard to see how many more years he can go on.

• cur68 - May 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My thoughts exactly. He’s merely suffering from fatigue due to his age. He’s logged a lot of miles on that arm, and its taking longer to return to the state he needs to be at to throw well. He could do with an extra day or two off between starts, and then see if he’s back to wiping people out. Even Mariano isn’t the pitcher he used to be. His MPH is well down now, but he hasn’t logged nearly the throws that Pettitte has. He still has that great aim and command. Like Rivera, Pettitte could move to the bullpen as well. Fewer throws, with more time off, and reduction in pitch types could see him remain a useful pitcher for years yet. It works for Darren Oliver. In the short term, he needs to give it some extra time between starts. He aint no 25 year old no more.

• stex52 - May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Let me correct that for your Cur. You meant to say “DOOM!”

• cackalackyank - May 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I can’t help think that Andy ( and maybe a couple other NYY starters) would benefit from a six man rotation. In other words an extra day off between starts. The problem I see is that a couple of these guys need to get the ball more often. At any rate the NYY really need to make a decison on Chein Ming Wang this month…so if a couple of the older guys need a break..here’s the opportunity. Also, Pineda might be ready for some work in the next 6-8 weeks so there’s another chance to rest some of the starters before the “dog days”.

• cur68 - May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Well, I’d “DOOM” them, but Pettite’s an Old Guy. I’m rooting for all baseball Old Guys. That supersede’s his “Yankeeness”. Besides, he’s one of my FL pitchers.

• historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

No, it’s Balky Pettitte so there should be super-DOOM!

• stex52 - May 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

So we cut to the chase, cur. You have a mercenary involvement.

• cur68 - May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Have FL.
        Will Travel.

• 18thstreet - May 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Interesting to hear it from an old guy. I mean, Middlebrooks is slumping right now (or so Red Sox fans hope) and the quotes from him are so utterly different. “Just one of those things.” “I’ve slumped before.” I don’t think I’ve ever heard a player say what Pettitte is saying here.

4. historiophiliac - May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Doom!

5. mdpickles - May 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Pettitte is a great guy with dozens of postseason heroics, but lets be real here. The guy cheated.

• stex52 - May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Okay. When you’re ready to be real, let us know.

• deathmonkey41 - May 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

6. stevequinn - May 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

One of my favorite Yankees. Hope he gets straightened out soon. All ballplayers go through slumps at one time or another. I’d like to see him win 10-15 games this year except when he pitches against my Red Sox.

7. pisano - May 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I hope Chein Ming Wang is just about ready to go, because the Yankees look like they can use him.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4055)