May 6, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
Evan Gattis has had a nice little rookie season so far, but while he still has power to burn, the league is starting to figure him out and his OBP is going down. So it’s probably good that Brian McCann is back. The Braves just activated him and he’ll start tonight. The corresponding roster move: the optioning of Tyler Pastornicky. Which sort of sounds like an art house movie title if you think about it.
McCann is coming off shoulder surgery but has looked pretty good on his rehab stint. He’s a .279/.351/.475 career hitter and will be a welcome addition to the feast-or-famine offense they’ve got going on in Atlanta.
Gattis gets to stay and will likely spot in an outfield corner, at first and catch a little while providing a power threat off the bench.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)