May 6, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After various setbacks in his recovery from December elbow surgery Frank Francisco resumed a minor-league rehab assignment yesterday by throwing a scoreless inning at high Single-A.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Francisco was clocked at 93-94 miles per hour while striking out two of the three batters he faced.
Bobby Parnell has fared well stepping in for Francisco as the Mets’ closer, throwing 13 innings with a 1.38 ERA and an 11/2 K/BB ratio, so whenever Francisco is ready to return it’ll be as a setup man.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12