May 6, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Reds starter Johnny Cueto threw a 25-pitch bullpen session today with no ill effect. The right-hander is recovering from a right lat strain and has been sidelined since mid-April. Cueto hit a bump in the road when he felt soreness before a rehab start with Double-A Pensacola a few days ago.
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Cueto could begin a rehab stint after another bullpen session.
“He looked very good and he said he felt very good,” Lessard said. “He’ll see (Reds medical director Timothy) Kremchek and we’ll see where we go from here.”
“I don’t want to rush, favor one thing and hurt something else,” Lessard said. “He’ll probably have another bullpen before he goes out to rehab.”
Before landing on the DL, Cueto had a 2.60 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 17.1 innings spread over three starts.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)