May 6, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Reds starter Johnny Cueto threw a 25-pitch bullpen session today with no ill effect. The right-hander is recovering from a right lat strain and has been sidelined since mid-April. Cueto hit a bump in the road when he felt soreness before a rehab start with Double-A Pensacola a few days ago.
C. Trent Rosecrans reports that Cueto could begin a rehab stint after another bullpen session.
“He looked very good and he said he felt very good,” Lessard said. “He’ll see (Reds medical director Timothy) Kremchek and we’ll see where we go from here.”
“I don’t want to rush, favor one thing and hurt something else,” Lessard said. “He’ll probably have another bullpen before he goes out to rehab.”
Before landing on the DL, Cueto had a 2.60 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 17.1 innings spread over three starts.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)