May 6, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
With the startling production from Nick Tepesch and Justin Grimm, both on the outside looking in as spring training began, Rangers lefty Martin Perez isn’t guaranteed a spot in the rotation when he is fully recovered from a fractured forearm suffered in March. Tepesch has a 3.54 ERA in 28 innings and Grimm 2.28 in 23.2 innings.
Perez made his first rehab start today, allowing a run on four hits in three innings with no walks or strikeouts.
Manager Ron Washington on Perez, via ESPN Dallas:
“His job is to go and get ready,” Washington said. “When he’s ready, we’ll make a decision.”
“It’s great that we’re getting our pitching back, it gives us depth,” Washington said. “But it’s gonna come down to what’s best for us and what’s best for the player at the time. Then a decision will be made.”
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)