Otis Nixon arrested with “a crack pipe in his pocket”

May 6, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

otis nixon mugshot

Longtime big leaguer Otis Nixon, who just a few months ago was accused of scamming the families of prison inmates out of money, was arrested over the weekend after police found him in possession of crack cocaine.

Alexis Stevens of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has more details:

Nixon, 54, had a crack pipe in his pocket and a crack rock in his vehicle when he was stopped on I-575 early Saturday, according to a Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office reported obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. …

“Otis admitted to me that the substance was crack cocaine but it didn’t belong to him,” a deputy wrote in the report. “Otis said the crack cocaine and the pipe belonged to his son.”

Nixon passed a field sobriety test and is currently being held on $11,880 bond.

Even when he was a leadoff man/center fielder who stole 620 career bases Nixon always looked like he was about 50 years old, but now that he’s actually 54 years old he appears to be about 104 in the mugshot. Bad times.

1. danradin - May 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Otis Nixon > Trot Nixon

2. dwrek5 - May 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I think it was biggie who said you either have a wicked outfield glove or you’re slingin crack rock. Something like that… #thingsdonechanged

• xhosa17 - May 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

“Either you’re slingin’ crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot”

• dwrek5 - May 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

No way!!! Really thought it was wicked outfield glove… Thanks!

• fanofevilempire - May 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

it’s the ten crack commandments………………………

• jimeejohnson - May 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The eleventh commandment should be don’t do crack!

3. rocketsteadman - May 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

First the prison scamming and now throwing his own kid under the bus

Stay classy Otis…

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

They’re gonna have fun with him in general population if/when he ends up there.

Green pea ripping off inmates families also tries to toss his kid under the bus?

Typically not a good career move.

• turdfurgerson68 - May 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

‘stay classy Otis’???

How about ‘stay legal Otis’?

• nukeladouche - May 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Otis, my man!

#dadoftheyear

4. cocheese000 - May 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

“cocaine is hell of a drug” –otis nixon

• fanofevilempire - May 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

crack is synthetic, when you hittin the pipe it’s the worst.

• fanofevilempire - May 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM

well I guess hitting the crack pipe is good.
        sorry.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - May 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM

as opposed to regular cocaine, which grows on trees..

• jimeejohnson - May 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I’m one of the few who thumbs upped your first comment but thumbs down the second.

• manchestermiracle - May 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Cocaine itself is a synthetic, manufactured drug. Crack is just purified cocaine.

• manchestermiracle - May 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

takemytalents: The coca plant grows on the ground, but, yes, coke does almost grow on trees. Coca resembles a blackthorn bush and grows to 7-10 feet.

• manchestermiracle - May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My statement about crack being a purified form of powder cocaine isn’t entirely accurate. Powder is difficult and expensive to manufacture. Crack is really just a crystallized version of the powder intended to be smoked, rather than snorted or injected like powder. Both versions are addictive, but crack even more so than powder. Nixon likely has been a long-time addict.

5. mattjg - May 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM

If you had ever asked me to picture what a baseball player who used crack would look like, I would have drawn you a picture of Otis Nixon. It’s possible this a post-retirement thing (or even that it’s his son’s-yeah right), but I always thought that Otis Nixon looked like the poster child for an anti-drug PSA.

• tfbuckfutter - May 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Same thing.

Every time I saw that guy I thought “He looks like a crackhead.”

And, also….WHERE’S THE RACHEL LEIGH COOK PICTURE!?

• jimeejohnson - May 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

You mean Rachel Ray!

• rcquinn1972 - May 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

And here I thought Darrell Strawberry was the poster boy for “America’s Crack Habit & Baseball.”

6. mreezybreezy - May 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM

“Imma tell you something about me Joe Rogan that you might not know….”

7. kcroyal - May 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I remember watching Otis growing up thinking to myself “Otis sure looks a crack head.”

• yahmule - May 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

He looked like a crack baby.

8. pinkfloydprism - May 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I find this hard to believe. I mean, the guy kind of looks like he does crack… and now he does?

• tfbuckfutter - May 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Maybe what happened is he wasn’t a crackhead, but since he looked like a crackhead everyone who sells crack would walk up to him and be like “Hey man, want some crack?” and eventually he just gave in.

• indaburg - May 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Makes sense to me.

9. dirtydrew - May 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

He always looked the part.

10. Tick - May 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’m pretty sure that picture is actually of Dhalsim from the Street Fighter games.

• elmo - May 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I was thinking Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

11. nolanwiffle - May 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Somebody get Chris Jaffe on the horn, stat! I think we’ve found a “living” ballplayer that was managed by Connie Mack.

• rcquinn1972 - May 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Now THAT was hilarious! I read that article of nonsense earlier, and you just made it work. Kudos my man, kudos.

12. bulldog12b - May 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Nixon was suspended for cocaine use when he was playing for the Braves back in the 90’s… He apparently can’t afford the real stuff now and is settling for the cheaper crack… It’s too bad he was one of the fastest players in the game when he played.

13. @Cereal_22 - May 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Sad, I remember watching a game as a kid where this guy stole second on a ball the catcher dropped, it only rolled a couple of feet away but Nixon was so fast he decided to take 3rd as well just beating the tag.
    #Expos

14. brianjoates - May 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Everyone is responsible for their own decisions,but damn you would think mlb or the players union would try and help a dude out. It is not a good look to have retired players on crack looking that bad.

He looks ridiculous and awful.

• brewcrewfan54 - May 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Unfortunately he has to want help in order for them to give it if they do have a program for retirees.

15. anybodyinhere - May 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Nice taste in rugby shirts tho. Oh, wait. Never mind.

16. kalinedrive - May 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It’s ridiculous that it’s a crime to be in possession of crack, or cocaine, or any other drug that’s not a chemical weapon. Being in possession of something does not harm anyone else.

If he was driving under the influence (which apparently he wasn’t) or committing some actual crime, then arrest him for committing the crime. But just saying you can’t have this stuff because some authority figure decided nobody can ever handle it anywhere ever is stupid.

The war on drugs is a colossal failure and has far more destructive consequences than actual drug use.

Which reminds me of another thing that bugs the hell out of me: someone being arrested for resisting arrest. That’s the only charge against them. How the hell can resisting arrest be your only crime? What were you being arrested for in the first place?

17. drewzducks - May 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM

At least he aged well.

18. cadillacjosh - May 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Man who hasn’t been there?

19. slobmykolb - May 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Kalinedrive says;

• koufaxmitzvah - May 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

“You are an idiot and that by far is the most idiotic thing I have ever read on this site! Grow up!”

Have you noticed your handle?

• rcquinn1972 - May 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I like his handle, no pun intended, LOL

• kalinedrive - May 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You must not read a lot. But thanks for your great analysis and well thought out reply.

• APBA Guy - May 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Really. Slob can just go over to the “Roy Halladay to the DL” post to see some colossal, profound idiocy.

Your comment “The war on drugs is a colossal failure” is certainly true.

Some of the others might be overstatement, but that’s the worst you can say about them.

20. fearthehoody - May 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

“Crack is wack!”

-Whitney Houston

• mybrunoblog - May 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I guess Whitney didn’t listen to her own words.

• manchestermiracle - May 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I think she was praising it.

21. mazblast - May 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

My favorite Otis-related line was from his Red Sox days. Otis stole home with Mo Vaughn at the plate. Vaughn was screaming as he took the pitch, “Otis, you craaaaazzyyyyy!!” (IIRC he was safe)

Mo was and is right.

22. caeser12 - May 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Seriously, people still smoke crack?

I don’t even like the word Crack, let alone smoking that ish.

23. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Wally Ritchie called

#hithimagain

24. hitdog042 - May 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If you think that’s what 104 looks like you are in for some surprises.

25. rcquinn1972 - May 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I always knew that Otis smokkum peace pipe. That dude is the wooden Indian in front of the cigar store. Don’t act like you’re surprised he got caught, and with a snout like that, he can’t afford to snort it, so of course he turned to a crack pipe.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3052)