Red Sox place Andrew Bailey on DL, activate Craig Breslow

May 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

andrew bailey reuters tall Reuters

Andrew Bailey‘s stint as Red Sox closer was short-lived because he’s been placed on the disabled list with right biceps inflammation.

To take his place on the roster and in the bullpen the Red Sox activated Craig Breslow, who’s been on the DL all season with a shoulder injury, but Joel Hanrahan will get a chance to reclaim the closer gig.

Breslow has a 3.00 ERA in 342 career innings, including a 2.70 mark after joining the Red Sox last season, so if healthy he’ll provide manager John Farrell with a good late-inning option from the left side. Bailey was pitching extremely well with a 1.46 ERA and 20/4 K/BB ratio in 12 innings, but has a long history of arm problems and missed most of 2012 with torn thumb ligament.

Bailey’s stint is backdated, so he’ll be eligible to return on May 14.

1. riverace19 - May 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

He pitched 8 times over a 12 day period.. what were the Sox thinking? That’s like taking your 1971 Volkswagen on a cross country trip and rodding that thing up to 85 mph every day. Maybe that’s a weird analogy but this guy has pitched 105 innings TOTAL over the past 3 seasons… The writing should have been on the wall.

• APBA Guy - May 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Good analogy. We saw this-the DL trips- too often when he was in Oakland.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Not sure if John Farrell was at fault here; however, under his leadership last season, the Blue Jay’s pitchers had a lot of injuries including 3 Tommy John surgeries. It is something to keep an eye on.

2. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

proudlycanadian promptly popped a boner of anti-Boston hatred upon reading this news.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Nah, I waited for almost 2 hours.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Since you are probably watching the Boston game, I am curious about Buchholz. Was there a close up of his left arm? If so, did it look wet or oily? I understand that he gave up a couple of runs in the first inning.

• aceshigh11 - May 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No, I’m not watching as I refuse to pay for cable TV.

Baseball is probably the one thing I miss more than anything (that and The Walking Dead).

I SHOULD buy the MLB.tv online package, but I’m a cheap bastard.

At any rate, I don’t believe Buchholz was cheating…SOMEONE other than a couple of drunken, over-the-hill commentators would have raised a commotion if there was even the slightest evidence.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Drunken? Who is bitter now?

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

By the way, I refuse to believe that you are a bastard. It is interesting that the first game after he was labeled a cheater (seconded by SI.com) Buchholz has had a poor start.

• drewzducks - May 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

4 runs in 6 innings? I mean it was no Josh Johnson or RA Dickey but it wasn’t Buehrlesque.

• proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

He also struck out a lot of batters; however it was by far his worst game of the season. By the way, the Jays did win tonight even though Buehrle had one nightmarish inning. Buchholz will get a no decision and the Red Sox may still win their game.

• aceshigh11 - May 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Hey, just for the record: even though we antagonize each other, I DO enjoy your posts and consider you one of the best members of this board.

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM

For he record, I respect your opinion also.

• aceshigh11 - May 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM

It wasn’t a great start, but it was by no means disastrous.

Put it this way: he wasn’t going to go 32-0. His ERA is still 1.60.

If he tanks his next 4-5 starts, THEN maybe I’ll consider that something fishy was going on.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3842)