Ruben Amaro: Phillies offense “not good enough”

May 6, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Water is also wet. The Phillies are tied with the Nationals for the third-worst runs per game average in the National League at 3.53. They’re fourth-worst in batting average (.237) and third-worst in on-base percentage (.296) and slugging percentage (.374). Phillies outfielders have the worst combined OPS in the league at .608, well below the second-worst Marlins at .665.

GM Ruben Amaro says his team’s offense, which has scored two runs or fewer in four out of the last six games, is “not good enough”, reports Chris Branch.

“They need to swing the bats better,” Amaro said. “That’s not good enough. When we’re behind the 8-ball that much, it’s tough to crawl back. But there’s no question we need to swing the bats better.”

Kevin Slowey, who wasn’t even in the major leagues in 2012, pitched seven shutout innings for the Marlins. Slowey came into the game with a career 4.50 ERA. His win Sunday was his first in the majors since Sept. 18, 2010.

“I believe in these guys still,” Amaro said. “They’re good hitters. They need to do better. For us to be contenders, they have to hit better.”

Defending his signing of right fielder Delmon Young (and ostensibly of constructing his offense the way he had), Amaro said in January, “I don’t care about walks. I care about production,” then lamented that the Phillies weren’t drawing walks two and a half weeks into the season. Presently, the Cubs and Brewers are the only teams in the league to have drawn fewer walks than the Phillies.

1. melkipershero - May 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Isnt he the guy who hates on base percentage?

2. tfbuckfutter - May 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Hmm….I wonder if maybe there is someone to blame for that…..

Oh….“They need to swing the bats better”….of course there is.

Obviously the collection of players who make up “They” is the problem….not the person who put together that collection.

“On base percentage shmon shmase shmershmentage”
    -Ruben Amaro, Jr.

3. tommyshih - May 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Why the qualifier, “enough”?

4. summeroftony - May 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I can’t stand him anymore. He built this terrible offense. Any gm that says he doesn’t care about walks doesn’t deserve his job. The Phils are so old school. I wish they’d get with the sabremetric times.

• msankey86 - May 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

They don’t even have to do that. They need to stop being completely idiotic. “I don’t care about walks. I care about production.” – whether you use sabermetrics or not, there is NO REASON why this should EVER be said. He should’ve been fired the moment he said that, since it shows just how bad of a GM he is (not to say that some of his other moves haven’t done the same, but to be so out of touch with the basics of baseball…)

• bolweevils2 - May 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

In his defense, one could construe his “I don’t care about walks. I care about production.” quote as meaning he doesn’t care whether the job gets done with walks or not, as long as it gets done. But perhaps the context in which he said it made it clear he didn’t think walks are very valuable, I don’t know.

It sounds pretty bad on the surface, in any event.

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The fact that they’re the only team without a sabermetric department is harrowing to me. I would gladly take an unpaid position with the team in that regard just to be able to help teach them things like “walks are valuable” and “K:BB ratio is important.”

The only reason Rubes is getting such a long leash is because he’s a born-and-raised Pennsylvanian who was a two-time OF for the Phils in the 90s and was part of the group that presided over the second Phillies World Series title. It shouldn’t be that way, but unfortunately it is, and he’s going to dig this team into the goddamned ground.

• paperlions - May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I have a feeling that no amount of effort, logic, or data would convince the current Phillies management to change their opinion on things.

5. carbydrash - May 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

His statement seems to imply that their 2nd to last ERA is just hunky-dory.

But yeah… sure, the problem is just the offense.

6. carbydrash - May 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

BTW: If you’re bored, go here and read through the *hilarious* comments by Phillies fans claiming why their team is going to win the division and how everyone who says otherwise is just a hater

Please, anyone who commented on this thread, explain again how we were all wrong.

• gmagic9044 - May 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Now, now, as much as I love the Phillies being terrible and their GM seemingly being inept…there’s no need for trolling.

Leave that to the Philly Phans. ;-)

• xmatt0926x - May 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Does it ever strike you as odd that even though the Phillies are playing poorly and not involved in the division race that articles like this are constantly posted on this site, only to be commented on by non-Phillies fans like ravenous dogs who haven’t eaten in days, then someone in this group of trollers inevitably talks about the phillies fans being trollers?

• paperlions - May 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I don’t think that is the dynamic.

When people post things that others disagree with (especially things that are somewhat obviously untrue), do you expect people to not engage in the conversation and to just quietly shake their heads and move on? It is the combative nature of Phillies fans as they strongly defend their team that leads to long threads….and eventually to all of the “haha told you so” types of comments when it turns out, often unsurprisingly, that whatever the Phillies did wasn’t a particularly good move.

There are a lot of posts on all of the high profile teams, the fact that contributors to the blog include Braves, Mets, and Phillies fans just means that there will be a lot of NL East articles.

• sneschalmers - May 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

We’re not all like that, but I understand your schadenfreude. Sigh.

• Kevin S. - May 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Is Darin Ruf on his way to the All Star Game yet?

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yes, because the Phillies are the only team that has morons within its fanbase. That never happens with the Yankees…or the Red Sox…or the Dodgers…or the Angels…et al.

• cktai - May 7, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I went through the comments. Out of the 15 or so Phillies fans, a grand total of 1 claimed that they would win the division. *hilarious* comment though this.

• ryanrockzzz - May 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I was bored. But then I realized that a season is 162 games long.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

carbydrash – May 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I am bored, and I did post there. So to wit, I went back, here are the predicitons:

illcomm – “Phils are taking the division this year!!!”

captainwisdom8888 – “the old men need to get it done this year or its the basement of the NL East for the phils”

Jeremey T – “I guess it’s theoretically possible that they turn it around from last year. Seems pretty incredibly unlikely, though, given their ages.”

Ben – “Spot on about Philadelphia” (that means 3rd place)

DelawarePhilliesFan (me) – “I’m not saying he is wrong” (about being a 3rd place team)

jam11163 – “if they stay healthy they will win.”

hisgirlgotburrelled – “I’d predict them to be 3rd, too, but it will be close with Atlanta.”

eagles512 – “If healthy at all, they top the braves.”

bricktop02 – “If healthy I think they can finish 2nd.”

The Baseball Gods – ” If you don’t think this team is good enough to win more than 90 games you are crazy.”

liamj55 – “Phills finish second”

ryanrockzzz – “Although they still may (finish 3rd), I believe the Phillis will finish second behind the Braves”

kunztwon – “I predict a 2nd Place Finish”

gmfw7 – “i think the phillies finish 2nd”

So there you have it – 14 predicitons. One was an unequivocal predition of 1st, one qualified 1st place predicition, and lots of 2nd and 3rd place predicitions.

I guess you should have read it first yourself

• tuberippin - May 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

“‘captainwisdom8888 – “the old men need to get it done this year or its the basement of the NL East for the phils’”

Captain Wisdom…so wise.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I did comment on the article. I wrote “I’d predict them to be 3rd, too…” As did just about everyone else. Some thought 2nd. 2 were unhappy and thought they’d win the division.

If you were bored you should have actually read the comments before posting a link to your *evidence*.

7. tfbuckfutter - May 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

On the plus side, Delmon Young is officially OBPing half his weight.

• duckthefodgers - May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Funny how fat jokes keep coming even though hes not really overweight anymore.

• tfbuckfutter - May 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

“Not REALLY overweight” means the same thing as “overweight” just like 1+1=3 isn’t AS wrong as 1+1=11 but is still wrong.

• historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Roll 2-12

8. duckthefodgers - May 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

He looks pretty thin next to Ryan Howard.

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 12:52 AM

What the fuck are you talking about? Ryan Howard is 6’4″, 240lbs, and Delmon Young is 6’3″, 240lbs. Neither of them are carrying most of that weight as muscle.

Ryan Howard also gets a pass because he’s won NL Rookie of the Year, NL MVP (and two other top-3 finishes), a World Series title, four straight seasons of 45+ HRs, six straight seasons of 31+ HRs, and 8 of 9 years in the league posting an OPS+ at least 25% better than league average.

Delmon Young does not get a pass for being barely league-average in all of two out of seven seasons in the league and having one season where he hit 21 HRs.

• abaird2012 - May 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM

So production = not fat?

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

hahaha I didn’t mean it to come off like that. My point was that people give a pass to fat players who produce (Fielder, Cabrera, Howard back in the day, Sabathia, David Wells back in the day, Bob Wickman before he was awful, etc.) and verbally abuse those who suck (Slim Delmon, for example).

9. mungman69 - May 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The Phillies are old that’s why they HAVE TO play old school baseball. A few more walks wouldn’t hurt. How about hitting with men on base.

• pdowdy83 - May 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Hard to hit with men on base when less than 30% of your batters are even getting on.

10. @Cereal_22 - May 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The Phils got old then extended the contracts of the old guys. Amaro has been awful

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet