May 6, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Steve Carlton had a 24-year career in Major League Baseball, 15 of which came with the Phillies between 1972 and 1986. He won four Cy Young awards in 1972, ’77, ’80, and ’82, and led the Phillies to their first ever championship in 1980. He also helped the Phillies back to the World Series in ’83 when they lost to the Baltimore Orioles.
Carlton was notorious during his playing career for his avoidance of the media. However, he wanted to get some good press out as he was on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time and agreed to speak with Pat Jordan of Philadelphia Magazine. It was with Jordan’s piece that we really found out the inner machinations of Lefty’s mind.
Deadspin republished the article today with postscripts from Jordan himself as well as editor Eliot Kaplan. If you have never read it, it is worth your time. Here is a snippet:
Built under the house is a 7,000-foot storage cellar. He’s stocked it with canned foods, bottled water, weapons. “Do you know if you store guns in PVC pipe, they can last forever underground without rusting?” he says.
He glanced sideways again. “The Revolution is definitely coming.” He believes in the Revolution, only he isn’t precisely sure which of a myriad of conspiratorial groups will begin it. Possibly, he says, it will be started by the Skull and Bones Society of Yale University. Or maybe the International Monetary Fund. Or the World Health Organization. There are so many conspiracies, and so little time. Sometimes all those conspiracies confuse him and he contradicts himself.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 42
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 29
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 82
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)