May 6, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
First I saw this, from the Texas-based Richard Justice:
Memo to Josh Hamilton: Rangers lead the AL in average attendance at 38,822.
— Richard Justice (@richardjustice) May 5, 2013
Then the Dallas Morning News page picked it up as if it were relevant. Adding near the end, by the way, that the Angels are drawing only 674 fewer fans a game with a far crappier team. Then they did a “look how badly Josh Hamilton is sucking” post. That goes along with this, this and this, all recent.
I know a lot of local papers keep tabs on past stars — if a guy played one inning of a 20 year career in pinstripes New York papers will write “Former Yankee ____ dies” when he passes — but the DMN’s focus on Josh Hamilton shows no signs of letting up.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (101)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)