Zack Wheeler pitches well again

May 6, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Zack Wheeler AP

I was on WIP in Philly this morning and Angelo asked me if I had a choice of being given the Phillies GM job or the Mets GM job, which one would I take. It didn’t take me long to answer that: the Mets. Easy. And not just because being the Mets GM means you don’t have to live in Philly. But because the future looks brighter in New York than it does in Philly right now.

Part of that future: Zack Wheeler. Who after some rough outings to start the year at Las Vegas is starting to get moving:

The 22-year-old threw six scoreless innings Sunday against Sacramento to earn his second straight win … He has now surrendered one run on eight hits over his last two starts …

Pair him with Matt Harvey and you’ve got something nice to build on.

Wheeler should be pitching for the Mets sometime this summer.

1. cur68 - May 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

And not just because being the Mets GM means you don’t have to live in Philly

Damn, man. Tha’s cooooooold….

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Doesn’t bother me if he wants to take a swipe at Philadelphia aside from all the cradle of liberty stuff ( I can drive to the spot where George Washington actually crossed the Delaware River as in the painting, just a touch of Americana cool )….. an hour from the beach, hour from the mountains, nothing like, you know, Ohio.

Ahem.

• Innocent Bystander - May 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Right…because that extra 32 minutes it would take to get to Washington’s Crossing somehow makes it not a day trip from NYC. Of all the stuff to pick that’s too close to being the mid-point between the 2 cities to make any difference in your argument. Hey, there’s Great Adventure!

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I guess that depends on what side of the city you’re on and what travel routes you have available. I’m around 20 minutes to Washington Crossing If I hop opn 95 not during rush hour.

Though I think “closer to the midpoint” to NY is a vague stretch. Maybe i’ll do a test run one weekend. Timed city limits of Philla to Washington’s Crossing and the to the NYC city limits.

Sounds like a fine Saturday Drive.

• polonelmeagrejr - May 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

George Washington gets way too much credit for rowing across the Delaware. As the painting so clearly shows – it was Navy Seals who did all the rowing – and not one bothered to write a book about the experience.. And besides Washington was heading to the Poconos for a taxpayer funded ski vacation.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Angelo is a clown.

3. mungman69 - May 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Angelo Who?

4. randygnyc - May 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Philly is a dangerous, filthy, economically devastated rat hole.

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That description could be apt to parts of almost every major city in the world.

I’m sure Rio and Mexico city would be preferable? Maybe Moscow? How about Bejing? Ever watch some of the smog videos as a day in Bejing progresses? Thing of beauty.

• illegalblues - May 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

philly, where we’re not quite hell so lay off. good bumper sticker idea

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Actually, I would rock that one on the fridge. You might be onto something…

• indaburg - May 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Comparing it to some of the filthiest cities on earth isn’t helping. Oh wait, maybe that’s the point…

• heyblueyoustink - May 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Kind of my point Inda, *every* city in the US has a ghetto, and Randy’s blanket statement about the area I live in is by in large erroneous.

But none of them, not even Detroit, compare with some of the goings ons in the cities in the rest of the world. Our ghettos here would be upscale in many of those places.

• billybawl - May 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I’ve lived in both SF and Philly. Aside from the weather, the main difference was that Philly was far more affordable and walkable.

5. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I read this blog for baseball-related stuff, and when you get into the fans and the city bullshit, and doing stuff for reason other than to annoy people, it’s eh whatever anymore…

But you’d think a radio station that’s for Philly sports fans would stop asking you to go on their show. Apparently no one there actually reads what you write about the fans and the city.

• tommyshih - May 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

That word…I do not think it means what you think it means.

Seriously, why do kids not know how to use the word, “anymore,” anymore?

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

This comment… I do not think it’s as useful as you think it is.

Seriously, why do people feel the need to correct grammar? And then give yourself a thumbs up for it?

• tommyshih - May 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

It isn’t incorrect grammar. You just do not know how to use the word, “anymore,” correctly. And I don’t thumbs up or down things on HBT. Moderately clever, copying the structure of my post. Not really, but I’m trying to give you credit for something here. In regards to your post, I really like Philadelphia the city, but painted with a broad stroke, Philly fans are so sensitive and easy to rile up. Many commenters on this blog, excepting. That’s why blogs, sports sites and even your local talk radio do it. Your fragile egos are a click/page view/comment/call-in/cry baby/outrage/whine spewing bonanza when it comes to sports media. But, you know, it’s eh whatever anymore.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Find a hobby or something, anything but commenting on HBT with meaningless crap. There’s not one thing you’ve written that makes sense. The reasons for writing any of it is puzzling.

• tommyshih - May 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I’m sure being outmaneuvered intellectually throughout your life has taken it’s toll on you, but there is no need to be sad and bitter about it.

• sadpandarevolt - May 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Pretty sure they do know. My guess is it’s why he keeps getting asked back.

• schmedley69 - May 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Craig and Angelo Cataldi have a lot in common. They both dislike the Phillies and their fans and like to stir the pot of negativity to get the stereotypical Philly fan worked up into a froth. The only difference is that Craig is out in the open with his feelings, while Cataldi is a wolf in sheep’s clothing, pretending to be “one of us,” while in fact he is a Yankees fan from Rhode Island who would rather see the Philly teams lose to spark his ratings with his negative rants. The guy is a first class dirtbag and 95% of Philly fans see through his charade. He caters to the other 5%.

6. niceguyeddie11 - May 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Don’t the Phillies have some kid in the minors who has been dominating. Biddle, I think his name is. Is on Baseball America’s top 5 list for the last few weeks?

***Just looked it up, Jesse Biddle. Struck out 14 in 7 innings using only 73 pitches.(WOW!!!). 1.74 ERA in five starts (Wheeler has a 4.00 ERA in 7 starts) and in his last two outings, covering 13 innings, Biddle struck out 26 batters and allowed two hits and no runs.

But you like Wheeler better? Why? Biddle is 2 years younger too,

As far as which GM job you’d take, NY Mets over Philly is not a smart choice. Based on money and the flexibility that that money would give you. I think the Phillies are on the verge of a new TV deal, read somewhere it could be as big as the Dodgers. Farm systems become less important when you have money (see NY Yankees and the many, MANY Championships they have).

Did you take any of that other stuff (Biddle, money) into consideration when you wrote this or were you just looking to take a shot at Philly?

• thebadguyswon - May 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The Mets pretty clearly have a much better farm system than Philadelphia. They have boatloads of young pitchers that throw gas. That said, I wouldn’t be printing any Mets 2014 Playoff tickets yet.

7. Reflex - May 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Wheeler intentionally switched to the Inverted W to gain mph on his fastball, so I don’t really see a bright future there, TJ is likely in his future in 2-3 years. Aside from that what I want to know is if the Mets have much in the way of position players. They seem to have done well with pitching, but position players I haven’t heard much about…

• thebadguyswon - May 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Right because, the inverted W guarantees you will have Tommy John at some point. (ROLLING EYES)

But in all seriousness, yes their position players lag behind the pitchers.

• thebadguyswon - May 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Most of their good hitting prospects are in the lower minors. Remember the name Vicente Lupo. He’s a young Domican outfielder with tremendous raw power that also had a 1:1 strikeout to walk ratio. Kevin Plawecki, a catcher, is another solid bat.

• Reflex - May 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Pretty much does, yes. There is a fairly strong track record on that now. A lot of teams don’t care though, players like Wheeler are young and cost controlled and if they can get an ace like pitcher for 3-5 years they can then let them break down on another team that paid for an ace and instead got a TJ case.

Its unethical but that’s baseball. When have clubs ever really cared about their players?

8. proudlycanadian - May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

The Mets have a couple of other promising minor leaguers named d’Arnaud and Syndergaard.

• blockedshotnyr - May 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Plus, money coming off the books and likely increasing budget now that the Madoff mess is over with.

9. mattjg - May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Craig’s just intimidated. He knows that as Phillies GM he could never troll Phillies fans as well as Ruben Amaro, Jr. has done the past few seasons. Signing Delmon Young to play right field every day? No way Craig thinks of that. He’s better off in NYC where he can sit back and let the young talent develop and beat up on RAJ’s broken down players.

10. jpash42 - May 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

This guy is a complete clown!!! The truth is he wouldn’t last 5 mins in the City of Brotherly Love.

11. buddaley - May 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Perhaps apocryphal, but the story is W.C Fields said he wanted his epitaph to read,

“On the whole, I’d rather be in Philadelphia.”

I always thought it read,

“Better here than in Philadelphia.”

Apparently he also said,

“I once spent a year in Phildelphia. I think it was a Sunday.”

12. multiplemiggs - May 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

LMAO Did you just say you would choose the Phillies GM job bc you “think” theyre getting a new TV deal? hahah the Mets have their own TV Station you clown!

13. crisisofinfinitephils - May 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Why does a Philly talkie care about the mets so much?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)