Deciphering Ned Yost-ese

May 7, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Ned Yost and his flexible thumb Getty Images

I made a mention of Ned Yost’s curious comments following yesterday’s loss in ATH this morning. Joe Posnanski, who is way more on top of Royals stuff than I ever will be, takes a deeper look:

I’m not saying the decision was wrong. I’m saying that I would like to know why Ned Yost did it …and his explanation does not clarify things at all. If he did it for health reasons, because he noticed something, or for sound reasons he would rather not make public, hey, that’s part of the game too.

But he did not offer any of that in his explanation. And if he did it because he believes in push-button managing with a starter having his job, a closer having his job, a setup man having his job, a lefty specialist having his job, well, that’s not great. The Royals have a pretty good team here. Ned Yost has gotta raise his game.

Good stuff as always.

1. chacochicken - May 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

2. randygnyc - May 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

In hindsight, obviously, it was a bad move. The devil’s advocate, objective view says that by pulling shields after 8, shields can’t lose and keeps his pitch count lower. It also shows confidence, which he may or may not have, in his closer. Girardi makes that move 99% of the time, but he’s got Mo. Perhaps Ned feels that way about his guy. Either way, THAT type of info is not for public consumption. Maybe James was spent? That info isn’t public either. I’d say Ned has outperformed expectations so far, IMO, so he gets the benefit of doubt.

3. skeleteeth - May 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Shields threw the exact same amount of pitches in his last outing through 7, 102, and was kept from coming out for the 8th with a 7-2 lead. Was Yost’s explanation an issue the day after?

4. stex52 - May 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Same comment as I made on the other thread. There were good reasons why pulling Shields might have made sense. We just don’t know if those were the real reasons.

As to your comment, skeleteeth, I would say it makes a lot of sense to pull after 102 pitches in the seventh. You know he is not going to finish the game without throwing at least 130, and that is not what you want to do with your ace for a long season. 105 (I think it was) in the 8th is more of an either/or proposition.

5. hittfamily - May 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Shields had 12 complete games in 2011, so he is very capable of finishing this out. However, Shields after 102 pitches or a fresh Holland in a 1 run game with 3 outs to get, even the Shields fan in me doesn’t hate the move, although in this case it didn’t work. In a 2 run game, Big Game James is the man for the job for certain.

And for everyone who kept saying “Shields isn’t an ace, he’s a #2″ when trade rumors kept flying; Just stop. He has proven you wrong!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3919)