May 7, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers have placed Jerry Hairston Jr. on the 15-day disabled list with a strained groin muscle and called up utilityman Elian Herrera from Triple-A Albuquerque to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot.
Hairston, who suffered the injury while running the bases Saturday, is expected to miss three weeks. He’s batting .255/.304/.353 with a homer and two doubles over 58 plate appearances this season.
The Dodgers entered play Tuesday evening with a 13-18 record and -34 run differential, which currently has them sitting in last place in the National League West standings.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)