May 7, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
As expected the Brewers have sent Francisco Rodriguez to high Single-A and Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that he’s slated to make a few appearances there before moving up to Triple-A next week.
Rodriguez signed a minor-league contract with the Brewers on April 17 and it includes an opt-out clause if they don’t promote him to the majors within 30 days, so the clock is ticking. If they do call up Rodriguez he’ll be guaranteed $2 million, so presumably K-Rod will need to be impressive enough in the minors to convince the Brewers he can be a quality setup man.
Rodriguez didn’t generate much interest on the open market this offseason, but threw 72 innings with a 4.38 ERA and 72/31 K/BB ratio for the Brewers last year and is still just 31 years old.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)