May 7, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Happ departed the field on a stretcher after taking a Desmond Jennings line drive off the left side of his head in the second inning of his start Tuesday evening against the Rays.
Happ appeared to be conversing with paramedics as they led him off in a cart, but his neck was stabilized by a brace and he had some blood dribbling out of his left ear. He will probably be taken to a local hospital near Tropicana Field and monitored overnight. We’ll pass along any further updates.
Happ earned a spot in Toronto’s starting rotation with a big spring and signed a two-year, $8.9 million contract extension with the Jays on March 27. He was sporting a 3.98 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 26/18 K/BB ratio in 31 2/3 innings entering Tuesday’s outing.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (93)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)