May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
From Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com comes word that Angels ace Jered Weaver is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Thursday for the first time since fracturing his left (non-throwing) elbow when he tried to avoid a comebacker April 7 in Arlington, Texas.
If everything goes well during Thursday’s mound workout and he suffers no setbacks over the next couple of weeks, Weaver should be cleared to return to the Angels’ starting rotation by the end of May.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings (two starts) before suffering the fracture. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 2.81 ERA and 1.02 WHIP across 188 2/3 innings in 2012.
Anaheim’s 2013 team ERA of 4.78 currently ranks second-to-last in MLB, in front of only the Astros.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (80)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)