May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
From Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com comes word that Angels ace Jered Weaver is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Thursday for the first time since fracturing his left (non-throwing) elbow when he tried to avoid a comebacker April 7 in Arlington, Texas.
If everything goes well during Thursday’s mound workout and he suffers no setbacks over the next couple of weeks, Weaver should be cleared to return to the Angels’ starting rotation by the end of May.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings (two starts) before suffering the fracture. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 2.81 ERA and 1.02 WHIP across 188 2/3 innings in 2012.
Anaheim’s 2013 team ERA of 4.78 currently ranks second-to-last in MLB, in front of only the Astros.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)