May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
From Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com comes word that Angels ace Jered Weaver is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Thursday for the first time since fracturing his left (non-throwing) elbow when he tried to avoid a comebacker April 7 in Arlington, Texas.
If everything goes well during Thursday’s mound workout and he suffers no setbacks over the next couple of weeks, Weaver should be cleared to return to the Angels’ starting rotation by the end of May.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings (two starts) before suffering the fracture. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 2.81 ERA and 1.02 WHIP across 188 2/3 innings in 2012.
Anaheim’s 2013 team ERA of 4.78 currently ranks second-to-last in MLB, in front of only the Astros.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)