May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
From Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com comes word that Angels ace Jered Weaver is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Thursday for the first time since fracturing his left (non-throwing) elbow when he tried to avoid a comebacker April 7 in Arlington, Texas.
If everything goes well during Thursday’s mound workout and he suffers no setbacks over the next couple of weeks, Weaver should be cleared to return to the Angels’ starting rotation by the end of May.
Weaver had a 4.91 ERA and 1.36 WHIP in 11 innings (two starts) before suffering the fracture. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 2.81 ERA and 1.02 WHIP across 188 2/3 innings in 2012.
Anaheim’s 2013 team ERA of 4.78 currently ranks second-to-last in MLB, in front of only the Astros.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 11
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)