May 7, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Logan Morrison is scheduled to begin playing in extended spring training games today as he recovers from offseason knee surgery.
It’ll be Morrison’s first game action since last July and as manager Mike Redmond told Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald: “He’s been able to run the bases and do his stuff.”
There’s no timetable yet for Morrison’s return from the disabled list, but the initial expectation was that he’d be out until late May or early June. Assuming he avoids a setback and is cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment within the next week or so, that timetable sounds about right.
He might even beat Giancarlo Stanton back from the DL.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)