May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.
First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:
Not bad! Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.
None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)