May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.
First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:
Not bad! Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.
None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (272)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)