May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.
First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:
Not bad! Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.
None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)