Not everything sucks for the Marlins

May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.

First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:

Not bad!  Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.

None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.

1. sdelmonte - May 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

And don’t forget that kid Fernandez. He’s not quite Matt Harvey or Strasburg yet, but he might be soon in terms of the one guy you gotta to see.

Albeit from home, since no one wants to give money to Scrooge McLuria.

• waiverclaim - May 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Disagree, Fernandez is absolutely disgusting. He’d be completing all these shutouts if his max pitch count wasn’t at 80, because he’s only 20 years old.

• stoutfiles - May 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Better be quick about seeing them (from home) though, because Loria will trade them as soon as they want to be paid.

2. waiverclaim - May 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

How you gunna post this without mentioning that they have a guy better than Matt Harvey who’s even younger than him in Jose Fernandez?

• Alex K - May 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Maybe we should pump the breaks on calling Fernandez better than Harvey. Harvey has pitched 9.1 more innings and walked the same amount of hitters. Harvey also has 14 more strikeouts. They’ve also allowed the same number of HR. Fernandez has a chance to be better than Harvey, but at this moment he isn’t the better pitcher.

3. waiverclaim - May 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Also, Loria isn’t so evil the evil thing was buying all those stupid free agents and expecting them to gel as a team immediately, which rarely works. He’s a genius for the way he’s built this team. They will be a monster once they have an OF of Marisnick-Yelich-Ozuna and have Profar at SS, and even Olt at 1B, Gaincarlo is going to the Rangers, its so obvious, you’d think Stanton-Nolasco for Profar-Olt would be a done deal even now, although they will wait for Texas to get desperate and add even more prospects.

• Ralph - May 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM

“He’s a genius for the way he’s built this team.”

Mr. Loria, please stop commenting here. It’s transparent and makes you look desperate. Don’t you have some artwork to go buy?

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Or:

“Gabriel Cash: You’re getting a little radical here, don’t you think?
        Ray Tango: What’s radical?
        Gabriel Cash: Blowing a man’s head off with a hand grenade is a touch much, don’t you think?”

• ryanrockzzz - May 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Come on man. This is like watching Fox News or MSNBC over and over again when all they do is lie to you, convincing yourself what your hearing is actually true.

How many times does Loria have to disband a team for you to realize the only good in Marlins history has happened in spite of him, not because of him.

Plus, you have can Olt all you want, he hasn’t impressed me any, so more power to you there.

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Man, nobody wants Ricky Nolasco. Especially not the Rangers; look at how Ryan Dempster fared last season in Texas. Nolasco is an extreme fly-ball pitcher who would be going to an extreme fly-ball park in sweltering temperatures. That’s an awful combination.

4. proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM

You can’t tell paperlions that Hechavarria is good. I told him that last season and he refused to believe me. Unfortunate deluded person.

• cur68 - May 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I’ve said the same thing, PC (even had a little side bet going with ‘Lions about it. He doesn’t seem to care so much for the Cubans: said the same thing about Cespedes). When we traded Hechavarria away, that was the player I most regretted seeing go. Besides, I’d finally learned to spell “Hechavarria”. All that work for nothing! I did tell Gator to keep an eye on that kid, too. He’s fast, defensively skilled, and adaptable at the plate. I think we had Jose Reyes 2.0 there for a while. With any luck when Loria has his next fire sale we’ll get Aidin…Aednei…Hechavarria back.

• paperlions - May 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Whatever. If you go back and look, you’ll probably note that I said he’s probably be an all-glove SS whose glove was good enough for the bat to play. I’ll eat my words if the kid ever becomes a league average hitter. He never hit anywhere in the minors except LV. There is no evidence whatsoever that he has any power or can take a walk….making him a 100% BABIP driven offensive player, and likely to post sub .300 OBP with sub .350 SLG.

• cur68 - May 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM

You KNOW I’ll remember this, right?

• paperlions - May 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I LOVE that you are holding on to this, when all I ever said was that the kid couldn’t hit. There is still no evidence that he can.

Do you really want me to list everything you were wrong about over this past off-season? Okay, here is the list:

1) everything you said.

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

LOL! Are you including the time I said that I agreed with you?

• paperlions - May 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, even those. :-)

I would have been right if you hadn’t agreed with me. Curse you. I’m going to suspend you over a urine sample with a slow burning candle set under the rope.

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Cheers my friend.

5. historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Conveniently enough, the thing that’s going well allows Craig to troll Phans.

/drinks coffee and sits back

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Everyone in Ohio needs a hobby I suppose. Good for him that he chose a healthy one, picking on the kneejerk reaction sect of my bretheren from oh so far away.

/ shows a smug, wry smile.

• historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Your brethren?

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Phans, silly goose.

• historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Wait, what? You’re a Phan? How did I miss that? That can’t be. You’re reasonable. Are you adopted?

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Most of us are reasonable believe it or not. And I am born and bred child of the City of Brotherly Love.

Like I said, we have a small knee jerk sect that have the loudest barks. That’s where the perception gets skewed.

• historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I have got to harass you with way more Delmon Young jokes now!

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Bring it on!

/ grins, much like a wolf’s snarl.

6. @Cereal_22 - May 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Keith Law (Blue Jay fan #1) only picks players his former baseball buddy execs have in their system.

7. stoutfiles - May 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

“hey will be a monster once they”

While you were talking Loria traded all those players.

8. Old Gator - May 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

You have to pardon Craig for leaving Fernandez off the list. It was kinda my fault. I emailed him yesterday to check out how Ozuna was doing, whereupon the kid promptly went 0-4 in San Diego. I suspect that Craig was laughing so hard when he wrote this post that he just forgot the kid from that large unnamed island 150 miles or so south of here, the one where all of Macondo’s horrible drivers come from.

• tuberippin - May 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

His initial reaction was to write Jeff Conine’s name six times, but he caught himself and edited that out before publishing this post.

• jwbiii - May 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM

All of Macondo’s horrible drivers? I thought a significant number were retirees from points north.

• Old Gator - May 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Don’t confuse our bad drivers with our horrible drivers.

Three legends off to Cooperstown