May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.
First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:
Not bad! Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.
None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)