May 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
We’ve reached a point where piling on the Marlins yields diminishing analytical returns. We know all the ways in which they are bad and how bad their attendance is and how bad Jeff Loria is. So why not look at two good things.
First, the play of Adeiny Hechavarria the last two days. On Sunday he had seven RBI against the Phillies. Last night he flashed some leather:
Not bad! Also, and less conspicuous, is Marcel Ozuna. He’s a big 22 year-old outfielder. Since he was called up on April 30 he’s gone 11 for 27 with a homer, four doubles, two walks and four RBI for a line of .407/.448/.667. The Marlins are 3-4 in that time which, no, isn’t great, but it’s better than they’ve been doing. In six seasons in the minors Ozuna has hit .274./.333/.487.
None of that makes him a stellar prospect — Baseball America had him at 75, Keith Law didn’t rank him at all — but there’s at least something worth watching at Marlins Park these days.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)