May 7, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
James McDonald has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start and placed on the disabled list with what the Pirates are calling shoulder discomfort. Jeanmar Gomez will take McDonald’s spot against the Mariners.
McDonald has struggled all season, posting a 5.76 ERA with a league-high 20 walks in six starts, but previously insisted that he was fine physically.
McDonald also struggled down the stretch last season, following up an impressive first half of a 9-3 record and 2.37 ERA with a 7.52 ERA after the All-Star break. Dating back to last year he’s allowed 78 runs in his last 91 innings.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)