May 7, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
James McDonald has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start and placed on the disabled list with what the Pirates are calling shoulder discomfort. Jeanmar Gomez will take McDonald’s spot against the Mariners.
McDonald has struggled all season, posting a 5.76 ERA with a league-high 20 walks in six starts, but previously insisted that he was fine physically.
McDonald also struggled down the stretch last season, following up an impressive first half of a 9-3 record and 2.37 ERA with a 7.52 ERA after the All-Star break. Dating back to last year he’s allowed 78 runs in his last 91 innings.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)