May 7, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Joel Hanrahan exited Monday night’s game with a strained forearm and the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list. Manager John Farrell has already said that Junichi Tazawa, not Koji Uehara, will serve as the fill-in closer with both Hanrahan and Andrew Bailey on the shelf.
And to add another arm to the pitching staff the Red Sox called up prospect Allen Webster, who made his MLB debut on April 21 with a Quality Start against the Royals before being optioned back to the minors. He’ll start Wednesday versus the Twins, which means left-hander Felix Doubront is headed to the bullpen–perhaps only temporarily–after posting a 5.67 ERA through five starts.
Webster, a hard-throwing right-hander who was acquired from the Dodgers as part of last year’s Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford blockbuster, ranked as a top 50 prospect according to Baseball America and was off to a strong start at Triple-A. Doubront had a solid first full season for Boston last year, throwing 161 innings with a 4.86 ERA and 167 strikeouts, but has struggled to consistently throw strikes.
Oh, and Alfredo Aceves remains at Triple-A.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)