May 7, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Joel Hanrahan exited Monday night’s game with a strained forearm and the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list. Manager John Farrell has already said that Junichi Tazawa, not Koji Uehara, will serve as the fill-in closer with both Hanrahan and Andrew Bailey on the shelf.
And to add another arm to the pitching staff the Red Sox called up prospect Allen Webster, who made his MLB debut on April 21 with a Quality Start against the Royals before being optioned back to the minors. He’ll start Wednesday versus the Twins, which means left-hander Felix Doubront is headed to the bullpen–perhaps only temporarily–after posting a 5.67 ERA through five starts.
Webster, a hard-throwing right-hander who was acquired from the Dodgers as part of last year’s Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford blockbuster, ranked as a top 50 prospect according to Baseball America and was off to a strong start at Triple-A. Doubront had a solid first full season for Boston last year, throwing 161 innings with a 4.86 ERA and 167 strikeouts, but has struggled to consistently throw strikes.
Oh, and Alfredo Aceves remains at Triple-A.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (112)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)