May 7, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Joel Hanrahan exited Monday night’s game with a strained forearm and the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list. Manager John Farrell has already said that Junichi Tazawa, not Koji Uehara, will serve as the fill-in closer with both Hanrahan and Andrew Bailey on the shelf.
And to add another arm to the pitching staff the Red Sox called up prospect Allen Webster, who made his MLB debut on April 21 with a Quality Start against the Royals before being optioned back to the minors. He’ll start Wednesday versus the Twins, which means left-hander Felix Doubront is headed to the bullpen–perhaps only temporarily–after posting a 5.67 ERA through five starts.
Webster, a hard-throwing right-hander who was acquired from the Dodgers as part of last year’s Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford blockbuster, ranked as a top 50 prospect according to Baseball America and was off to a strong start at Triple-A. Doubront had a solid first full season for Boston last year, throwing 161 innings with a 4.86 ERA and 167 strikeouts, but has struggled to consistently throw strikes.
Oh, and Alfredo Aceves remains at Triple-A.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)