Ryan Westmoreland is going back to school, hopes to return to field

May 7, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT

ryan westmoreland

Former Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland, who retired from baseball at age 22 this spring after a pair of brain surgeries, still hopes there’s some baseball in his future.

The native of Rhode Island sat down with the Newport Daily News to talk about his future recently:

“I’ve been working out a lot, and if the time comes, I’m going to give it a shot. Because retired or not, my dream has always been to play in the big leagues, and if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen,” he said. “But if I ever feel like there’s a shot for me, I’m going to give it a shot. Whether it’s just playing catch or taking batting practice or whatever it is. I love the game still and that will never change.”

Westmoreland’s plan for now, though, calls for school and something that may allow him to work with young athletes someday.

“I’ve been looking into physical therapy school. It’s a six-year program, but I feel like I have a good understanding of the body and injuries — of course, injuries,” he said. “But it’s something I’ve always been interested in and I can branch off and do whatever — strength and conditioning, nutrition; that’s all kind of right up my alley.

Westmoreland’s schooling is already pretty much taken care of; his original contract with the Red Sox  guaranteed him $200,000 if he ended up going to college.

At age 19, Westmoreland hit .296/.401/.484 for short-season Single-A Lowell in 2009, quickly establishing himself as one of the game’s top outfield prospects. However, disaster struck the following spring, as he required surgery for a cavernous malformation in his brainstem. A second surgery followed in 2012, and he retired from baseball in March. He still has one more surgery planned, that to correct an eye problem that should allow him to ditch the glasses he’s currently wearing and permit him to drive again.

1. mianfr - May 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

As with all Ryan Westmoreland stories: Great for him, and good luck. That was a great clause to have in his contract in the first place and says a lot about his character, even if it’s unfortunate this is why he had to evoke it.

2. cavredleg15 - May 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM

If the only field he ever gets to play on again is a slow pitch softball league. I know he will be teaching and coaching the kids in his area. I wish you well Ryan-

• Alex K - May 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

If he is healthy enough to play intramurals he is going to be a beast in softball. I hope he gets healthy enough to get that opportunity.

3. theskinsman - May 7, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Good for him, I hope he stays healthy, and finds his way.

4. indaburg - May 7, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Great for him. He sounds like a good kid, and I wish him the best of luck. Physical therapy is a rewarding profession, if baseball doesn’t work out.

5. hojo20 - May 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Good luck Ryan!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5457)