May 7, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Helton was arrested after driving to a gas station near his house to buy lottery tickets, telling police officers that he’d consumed “two igloo cups of red wine” after striking a median. His blood-alcohol level was .102, which is above the legal limit.
Helton released a statement at the time, which included an apology, and the Denver Post reports that he also apologized in court by saying: “I am very regretful. I have taken measures to ensure it never happens again.”
Activated from the disabled list over the weekend after missing two weeks with a strained forearm, Helton is in the final season of his contract with the Rockies at age 39.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)