“We love you A-Rod”

May 7, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez gestures as he arrives at the Yankees' minor league baseball complex in Tampa

That’s what someone shouted from their car at Alex Rodriguez as he left the Yankees training complex yesterday as he finished his first day of baseball activities following hip surgery.

Kevin Kernan of the Post has a story about it. A-Rod says all the right things. It’s like the Yankees Department of Mystique and Aura wrote his script for him. He said it’s like “being 8 years old again.” He’s excited about the future, admits to feeling embarrassed about how last season ended and, while being cautious about his timetable for return, waxes positive and optimistic. If all of the things he said came out of Derek Jeter‘s mouth no one would bat an eye.

This had to bug Kernan and the Post sports editors. Absolutely NOTHING in there with which to criticize Rodriguez. So he added this at the end:

With those words, Rodriguez got into his Maybach, a vehicle that sells for about $416,000, and was off — finally, his first day of baseball activities behind him.

I don’t ever recall reading about what car Jeter or Teixeira or Granderson or anyone else drove away in from the training facility, let alone how much it cost. The only reason for the car stuff and the misleading scene-setting is to signal to Post readers that A-Rod is rich and different in order to stoke some sort of “he’s an out-of-touch big shot” fires. That’s it.

1. Kevin S. - May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM

If I had made over $350 million plus endorsements in my career, I’d drive a Maybach. And a DeLorean tricked out like it was in Back to the Future. And pretty much any car that’s done some really badass shit in Top Gear (the British version, obviously). Yawn.

• El Bravo - May 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The only thing worse than the NY Post is the American version of Top Gear.

2. manute - May 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Not to defend Kernan – whom I generally dislike – but isn’t that an interesting detail? It adds a little color to the story. If you want to judge ARod for driving an incredible douchey car, fine, but I suspect most people (other than me) won’t.

• historiophiliac - May 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I will.

Also, it cracks me up how much anti-Ford hate there was on the Helton story but everyone’s defensive here. lol

• stlouis1baseball - May 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Hahaha! How true is that? Ford’s just aren’t trendy. The trendy pick makes people feel good. Being trendy for the sake of being trendy makes me want to throw up.
        Keep figthing the good fight.

3. proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM

In Len’s absence, let me say “Leave Arod alone”.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Solidarity eh? Look at you going all Lech Walesa on us! :-)

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM

LOL! I am not Polish, but my ex sister in law is.

• heyblueyoustink - May 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I specifically used ole Lech simply because I was sure you would get the reference.

• proudlycanadian - May 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I did. I have also slightly aware on Len’s heritage.

4. johnchesterny - May 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Craig, what were you doing in Tampa yesterday shouting from your car?

5. scoregasmic - May 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Sounds like the same treatment Ndamukong Suh gets…always have to throw in an irrelevant negative because he’s actually a great guy

6. cackalackyank - May 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No, seriously it is BS. A-rod gets up, takes a crap. and a whiz, gets dressed, goes out to work, eats meals, drives cars etc.etc. like any other ball player or more specifically like any other NYY ball player. It’s just reaching ridiculous proportions. I’m not saying “leave A-rod alone”, but really at this moment he is just another highly (overpaid) athlete on a re-hab stint after an injury. When or if a balanced, thorough investigation of biogenesis proves something concrete against the man…call me.
    When he gets back into the game and either catches fire like the A-rod of old or stinks out the joint…call me.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet