And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

May 8, 2013, 6:50 AM EST

New York Mets starting pitcher Matt Harvey pitches against the Chicago White Sox during the fourth inning of their MLB Inter League baseball game at CitiField in New York

Mets 1, White Sox 0: For as good a pitcher as Matt Harvey is, something is clearly wrong with him given that he did not get the win in this game. The object of the game is to win it, Matt. You clearly lack The Will to Win, as I’m sure Hawk Harrelson mentioned during the broadcast of this game. Give me Bobby Parnell, who notched his third win of the season. He knows what’s truly important. Harvey: nine innings, one hit, twelve strikeouts, no walks but — again, I must stress — no win. Tsk tsk.

Reds 5, Braves 4: Craig Kimbrel: no longer immortal. Ninth inning homers surrendered to Shin-Soo Choo — who hit two — and Devin Mesoraco rocked and shocked the Braves who entered the ninth with a one run lead. Closers, man. Closers.

Indians 1, Athletics 0: Zack McAllister threw a shutout into the eighth. AND GOT THE WIN, MATT HARVEY.

Twins 6, Red Sox 1: Scott Diamond threw seven shutout innings. AND GOT THE WIN, MATT HARVEY.

Orioles 4, Royals 3: Matt Wieters drove in three, including the tie-breaking run in the eighth after Baltimore had blown a three-run lead. The O’s turned three double plays too.

Pirates 4, Mariners 1: Jeanmar Gomez threw five shutout innings even though he was only given a couple hours notice that he was gonna start. His comment right before the game, I assume.

Blue Jays 6, Rays 4: Everything in this game pales compared to the condition of J.A. Happ after he took a line drive off the side of his head. As I write this all that is known is that he is scheduled for a CT scan and is in stable condition. Here’s hoping the visuals of it are far worse than the damage.

Cubs 2, Cardinals 1: The Cardinals’ six-game winning streak comes to an end.  Travis Wood has been pitching really well and throws another nice one (6.2 IP. 5 H, 1 ER, 8K).

Astros 7, Angels 6: Gonna laugh my butt off when the Astros pass the Angels four fourth in the AL West. Houston snaps a six-game skid.

Brewers 6, Rangers 3Yuniesky Betancourt hit his eighth homer because baseball is random and fun and the Baseball Gods want us to try to figure out how in the hell thinks like Yuniesky Betancourt becoming an offensive force ever happen. His explanation for all the home runs he’s hitting:

“Leave the ball on home plate and I swing”

“I swing wherever it is,” he did not add, “but wen it’s on home plate I actually hit it.”

Rockies 2, Yankees 0: A two-run homer for Carlos Gonzalez was Hiroki Kuroda‘s only real mistake, but given that Jorge De La Rosa made no such mistakes to the Yankees it was enough. The Yankees don’t play in Coors Field much, but when they do they tend to lose.

Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 3Paul Goldschmidt with a two-run homer off Brandon League in the ninth to break the tie and, ultimately, win the game. It was an 11-pitch at bat, with Goldschmidt fouling off five full count pitches.

Padres 5, Marlins 1:  The Padres stay hot. Easy to do against Miami, but still. Will Venable‘s two-run homer per the AP game story made me laugh:

In the second, Venable hit a fly that Marlins right fielder Ozuna treated as if it was a routine ball. That threw off Venable, who hesitated out of the box before jogging down the first base line. Ozuna threw up his hands and shook his head looking for the ball — it landed seven rows up in the right field porch.

Phillies 6, Giants 2: Chase Utley had three hits, including a homer. Ryan Howard homered too, as the Giants Phillies knocked in five runs off Tim Lincecum. Maybe they just needed a trip to the west coast to clear their heads. Works for me sometimes.

Tigers vs. Nationals: POSTPONED: I fly a starship across the Universe divide. And when I reach the other side. I’ll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a highwayman again. Or I may simply be a single drop of rain. But I will remain. And I’ll be back again, and again and again and again and again.

1. mungman69 - May 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The Giants can’t lose two to the Phillies, can they?

• gigab0t - May 8, 2013 at 7:04 AM

“as the Phillies knocked in five runs off Tim Lincecum.”

“off Tim Lincecum”

“Tim Lincecum”

“Lincecum”

2. indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM

You’re right, Craig. The most important thing is for Happ to make a full recovery. The rest doesn’t matter much. We should know more today. That said, congrats to the Jays on their first three game win streak of the season. No snark intended. Baby steps, one game at a time, and all that good stuff.

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Both teams were in shock and did not do much for the next few innings. The Jays finally got to a very tired Rays bull pen and pulled off the win.

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

All I’ve heard this morning is that Happ is stable with no details forthcoming yet.

As for what ails the Rays bullpen, fatigue might be part of it.

3. dondada10 - May 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Harvey starting the ASG at Citi Field would make up for a lot of shit Mets fans have had to suffer in the last few years.

• skeleteeth - May 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM

What? Seriously?

• fanofevilempire - May 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Harvey was wicked, made his own nose bleed.
      I hope they let the kid pitch the game if he is still
      pitching good.

• deepstblu - May 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM

A really good pitcher would have (all together now) HELPED HIS OWN CAUSE with two home runs instead of two strikeouts. Kid’s overrated.

• yahmule - May 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

He’s actually a pretty good hitter. Not good enough to handle Santiago last night, though.

4. jarathen - May 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I see a lot of schadenfreude about the Angels doing poorly and I understand now what it’s like to be a Yankees fan, if my team actually kept winning anyway. So many people are dancing with glee that the Angels are bad.

I am not. This is a team that cannot be blown up. This is the Angels for the foreseeable future. And instead of raising my son on the aged but effective Albert Pujols and the glory of Mike Trout, he’s going to see the same quality of Angels team I endured growing up, except without the charm of being scrappy underdogs and the wonder dog.

• yahmule - May 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Or maybe everything will be okay.

• jarathen - May 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

That’s not true. That’s impossible!

5. kcrobert10 - May 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Another tough lose for the royals last night. We really need one more bat to make this line up go. It had been 5 games till last night without a homerun. Our pitchers run support is awful were an American leg team not a national leg team Mr Moore.

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If I were ever to “sponsor” a Royals fan, you know, like Unicef ( or pick your charity ), you would be it my man. Hope springs eternal, and there’s nothing better than a positive outook.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Dang, Phan. You pick up Michael and Delmon Young and all of a sudden you’re UNICEF. Does this mean your season is going to be full of giveaways?

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Well, there’s always dollar dog night! :-)

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of W’s…but I do like a nice hot dog. lol I’m treating Mom to a game & dogs on Sunday.

• sportsdrenched - May 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I actually put last nights loss on Ned Yost for doing Ned Yost Things. Hochevar with runners on? Running Tim Collins back out there in the 8th when he couldn’t throw strikes in the 7th? Nevermind the batting splits he ignored later in the game. Grrrrrr.

• kcrobert10 - May 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Agreed….

6. skeleteeth - May 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Only 7 starts in but I have to say I’m pleased with Ryan Dempster thus far; sub-3 ERA, 11.5 K per 9. Sucks he’s only gotten 5 runs of support from the offense in his 3 loses in addition to 2 NDs he should have gotten the W for (I know how important that Win column is). Hope he can keep it up.

7. therealtrenches - May 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I’m hoping the Phils keep hitting. I know Lincecum hasn’t been himself lately,, but that was still a satisfying win.

8. chill1184 - May 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Harvey’s game was an F-ing gem to watch. Was kinda glad that the perfect game got broken up though

9. Detroit Michael - May 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Three interleague games were scheduled yesterday. I had not noticed that before.

• umrguy42 - May 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I’ve noticed they’ve done that quite a bit this season. It hasn’t been “oh, there’s one interleague series at a time”, it’s generally been “well, actually, there’s *3* going on at a time”.

10. ptfu - May 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM

One more for the Things I Did Not Know Department: until yesterday, the Padres had 19 consecutive stolen bases without being caught. I choose to believe that’s what’s propelling the Padres out of the basement.

I mean, how are the Padres only 3 games below .500 when Eric Freakin Stults is their best starter? Stults was their ONLY effective starter until Andrew Cashner joined him in the rotation. The lineup’s okay but it’s not THAT great.

11. Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

…as the Giants knocked in five runs off Tim Lincecum

Ah well. That explains the offense. But I’m trying to imagine what on earth did poor Timmay do to earn the wrath of his teammates.

12. Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM

And lost in all the Phillies Woes is the Emergence of Kyle Kendrick, Phillies Ace. Yes, the baseball Gods have a sense of humor…

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Cowboy Joe West. How much more humor do you need from the Gods?

Maybe it is indeed time to awaken Cronus.

13. sdelmonte - May 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM

No denying it will be a long season for the Mets. But knowing that every five days Harvey takes the mound will make it better. And NL East fans can look forward to the potential of some really good matchups between Harvey and the other aces of the division.

Last night was a good night for all my orange and blue teams. Mets, Knicks and Islanders. I don’t get that too often. I will relish it.

14. thomas844 - May 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

If my reaction to the back-to-back homers off of Kimbrel was filmed, it would already have 1,000,000 Youtube hits. I was freaking out lol.

15. Old Gator - May 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The Feesh continue to suffer from jet lag, or at least to play like they do, and not only lost Alex Sanabia to a “right groin strain” (she must have been hot, whoever she was) but also may have lost Chris Valaika to a wrist injury in a collision while making a play at second. Not good – with Donovan Solano on the DL as well, they had to play Chris Coghlan at second, trapping them with his detumescent bat in the lineup. This, they needed, right?

For you disenfranchised and boycotting Feesh fans (and may your numbers be legion), here’s an idea for how to get some of that ol’ ballpark feel without contributing to Scrooge McLoria’s money bin. Check out the venerable (forty years and counting) Arbetter’s hot dog shack on Bird Road a block west of SW 87th Avenue. Two bucks and change for a loaded dog. The owner is from Boston and there’s Celtics and Red Sox memorabilia all over the wall – and you get free soda refills if you say you love Larry Byrd or Bob Cousy when you pay at the register. I said “How about Yaz?” and the guy smiled and nodded. Good place – funky, cheap but not owned by Scrooge.

16. ravensallday2012 - May 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Lets go os

17. rockthered1286 - May 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Next outting for Wei Yin Chen, I think I’m throwing a “Pity Party” at the local watering hole. The poor fella can’t get a lick of run support for nearly every start, he finally starts rolling in this game with somewhere in the ballpark of 75 pitches through 6 1/3 before the rain delay, Buck pulls him due to the 45 min break, and what happens? Tie game. No decision. Sorry Chen. Dude cannot catch a flippin’ break! It’s like he obtained the curse of Jeremy Guthrie when he rocked the Orange and Black…

18. APBA Guy - May 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Zach McAllister was the man yesterday, 7.2 IP and zero ER, with lots of movement. Tommy Milone was really good on the road (3.06 home, 4.44 road for his career) but Zach was better. Not often you see a 1-0 at Cleveland, especially on a Little League play that put the eventual winning run on (boot by Moss, bad throw by Sogard after picking up the booted ball).

But the play of the game was Yan Gomes throwing out Cespedes trying to steal 2nd in the 9th after Cespedes had singled with 1 out. The throw was perfect, a bullet to the sliding side of the bag that caught Cespedes by two feet and eliminated the tying run. Perez then struck out Moss to end the game. The A’s now 2-3 on this road trip, with two more in Cleveland before moving on to Seattle this Friday, where thankfully they will not face the King this series.

19. tycobbfromfangraphs - May 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

WTB a NBCHBT night manager

20. kelshannon19 - May 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Stros before hoes babayyyy!!

21. randygnyc - May 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Are we going to see a rookie win the rookie of the year, CY young and MVP this year? At this pace, yes. Has it happened before (I don’t think so)?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5015)
  2. M. Kemp (3523)
  3. J. Kang (2743)
  4. J. Upton (2742)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2660)
  1. C. McGehee (2656)