Brian Roberts will have hamstring surgery on Thursday

May 8, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT

brian roberts getty Getty Images

Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts underwent surgery last August to repair a torn labrum in his hip. He then had surgery in December for a sports hernia. And now he is going under the knife yet again.

According to MASN’s Roch Kubatko, Roberts is scheduled to have surgery Thursday at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas to fix a ruptured tendon his right hamstring, near the knee. He suffered the injury in early April and tried rehabbing it first to no avail.

Roberts is expected to need around six weeks of recovery time. The Orioles will likely shift him from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list at some point soon.

Ryan Flaherty and Alexi Casillia will continue to share time at second base for Baltimore.

Roberts has appeared in only 118 games since the start of the 2010 season while earning $40 million.

1. hammyofdoom - May 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM

God this guy’s past 3 years has been nothing sort of tragic injury-wise. He went from being that one guy on the Orioles I really feared as a Sox fan to that guy who I just hope makes his way to the field again. Best of luck… I wouldnt be surprised if we hear a retirement announcement soon however.

2. schm1471 - May 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Really unfortunate that, as the lone bright spot for the Orioles for years, he has kept going down once they’ve finally become contenders. Hope he can make it back soon.

3. senioreditor2 - May 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

5’9″ 175 lb guy that found power in the early to mid- 2000’s and now his body is falling apart…….I wonder why?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You mean when he turned 26, which tends to be a position players prime, AND started playing 150+ games a season? Also, his best ISO was in ’05 with .201; however, after testing started in ’06 he put up: .124 then .142 then .154 and .168 continuing to show more and more power after testing started…

• tuberippin - May 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

“his best ISO was in ’05 with .201; however, after testing started in ’06 he put up: .124 then .142 then .154 and .168 continuing to show more and more power after testing started…”

Which is also still less power than the pre-testing period…

4. bmoreravens1012013 - May 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Um, can anyone say steroids… As a batimorean , and life long Orioles fan, I have watched him his whole career. The year he really took off he said he had new contacts and it allowed him to see the ball clearer. Then he gets paid and gets busted for roids. His career has never been the same . Injury after injury after injury….almost a broken record. I believe the roids are why this keeps happening to him because its so painfully obvious.. Anyway here’s hoping a speedy recovery because when he is on the field , he is a bright spot top of the order although my O’s don’t seem to need him right now with the way the Buck Boys are playing. Go Ravens Go O’s!!!

5. mikeincmn - May 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I kinda want to feel bad for Brian Roberts since he just seems cursed with his health, but then I am reminded he has made 40 Million dollars for almost doing nothing over the past couple years and is married to a model.

If I have to deal with a few injuries a year for that lifestyle sign me up.

• tuberippin - May 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

$40,000,000 to have a bunch of surgeries and step in the box a couple times. All told, not too bad of a career path.

6. tomtravis76 - May 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

At what point does Buck make the call to have Hardy move over to second, Manny to short and find a defensive 3rd baseman with a bat?

7. seattlenative57 - May 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Earned $40 million? More like stolen.

8. ridingwithnohandlebars - May 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I was back in my room while my dad was watching the game and I suddenly started to hear him yelling expletives. At first I thought the O’s were blowing the game, but that was replaced by the fear that Brian Roberts was injured again. Sure enough when I came out I saw the replay of him stealing second with a 4 run lead in the 9th and coming up holding his hamstring.

He hates being the hurt guy so I hope he is able to come back from this injury this season, he was looking good in the games before he got hurt.

9. joeraytorrey - May 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Time to move on!!! Get rid of Casilla and bring up Schoop now so he will have plenty of at bats come the stretch run… Schoop has improved his average and his D has gotten better… Were getting by at the bottom of the order but we are winning despite them… Schoop would give us some nice pop at the bottom.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4139)