May 8, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
OK, so this isn’t the worst ceremonial first pitch of all time, because to me that honor will always belong to Cincinnati mayor Mark Mallory, but this one is pretty bad and has an interesting twist.
At yesterday’s White Sox-Mets game in New York the owner of the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate, Mets fan Gary Green, threw out the first pitch and missed his target so badly that the ball shattered the glass protecting the camera behind home plate.
CSNChicago.com has the amusing video, accompanied by Steve Stone’s reaction:
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)