Ceremonial first pitch airmails catcher, shatters glass

May 8, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

OK, so this isn’t the worst ceremonial first pitch of all time, because to me that honor will always belong to Cincinnati mayor Mark Mallory, but this one is pretty bad and has an interesting twist.

At yesterday’s White Sox-Mets game in New York the owner of the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate, Mets fan Gary Green, threw out the first pitch and missed his target so badly that the ball shattered the glass protecting the camera behind home plate.

CSNChicago.com has the amusing video, accompanied by Steve Stone’s reaction:

1. The Common Man - May 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

That was entirely by design, so as to render useless that stupid camera angle.

2. goawaydog - May 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Another new league record! In addition he hit the sportswriter, the public address announcer, the bull mascot twice…

3. indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I am shocked and frankly downright appalled that the following video of Korean pop star Tiffany Hwang has not been blogged about on HBT. Slackers. Fast forward to about halfway through the video I saw this yesterday on MLBN. You’re welcome, boys. Don’t say I never did anything nice for you.

• biasedhomer - May 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Looks like its the first time shes ever thrown a baseball.

• Gamera the Brave - May 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

‘burg,
      Total fake-out! With all the goofy buildup/windup/calesthentics she was doing, I was hoping for a 70 MPH strike, but like most first pitches, total bust.

Wait – you were talking about the cute girl, not the pitch? In that case, awesome! Thanks!

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

The cute girl, bonehead! :-)

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I hate you for that. Next time, say: ‘philiac, this will annoy the hell out of you, so don’t watch it. For future reference, people, mark it if it’s NSFP. K, thnx! I can’t un-see it!

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Lol ok, will warn you next time. But aw, c’mon. She’s adorable. I laughed.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I just needed to know there was no redeeming baseball value. I wouldn’t have bothered if you had said this is strictly eye candy. I only watched b/c I thought it was coupled with an amusing or impressive throw.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Those white pants are redeeming quality. And I like the flexing. All of it.

Thank you, Indaburg. This makes up for those killer dolphin nightmares you induced.

• stlouis1baseball - May 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Thanks for the effort Inda…but she didn’t do much for me.
      I actually felt a little sorry for her after she threw the pitch directly into the ground.
      Makes me wonder what is running through these peoples minds when they are getting geared up for the 1st pitch. I mean…they know they can’t throw a baseball. So you would think they would practice a little bit. That was utterly brutal.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

It reminded me of Delmon Young’s arm. Strictly Phillies-level. ;)

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM

She doesn’t do anything for me either per se, but after she did her deep squat at the end, my husband said, “She threw a pitch?” Hey, different strokes for different folks. How dull this world would be if we all liked the same things.

• stlouis1baseball - May 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It would undoutedly be a boring world indeed.

4. jm91rs - May 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I say this every time I see the Mark Mallory video, it amazes me that Eric Davis looks so young still. He looks like he’s in good enough shape to suit up and play.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2860)