May 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
As expected, the Diamondbacks have placed right-hander J.J. Putz on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right elbow. Putz suffered the injury Tuesday night during a relief appearance against the Dodgers and could sidelined for an extended period of time. In fact, ESPN’s Buster Olney says “all signs point” to the veteran needing a major elbow procedure.
Will Harris, a right-handed reliever, was recalled from Triple-A Reno to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot.
Heath Bell is going to take over at closer for the Diamondbacks despite owning a rough 4.73 ERA and 1.43 WHIP through 13 1/3 innings this season.
He had a 5.09 ERA and 1.56 WHIP in 63 2/3 innings last year with Miami and blew eight saves.
If Bell falters — which seems kind of inevitable – David Hernandez will likely get the next crack.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)