May 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
As expected, the Diamondbacks have placed right-hander J.J. Putz on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right elbow. Putz suffered the injury Tuesday night during a relief appearance against the Dodgers and could sidelined for an extended period of time. In fact, ESPN’s Buster Olney says “all signs point” to the veteran needing a major elbow procedure.
Will Harris, a right-handed reliever, was recalled from Triple-A Reno to fill the vacant 25-man roster spot.
Heath Bell is going to take over at closer for the Diamondbacks despite owning a rough 4.73 ERA and 1.43 WHIP through 13 1/3 innings this season.
He had a 5.09 ERA and 1.56 WHIP in 63 2/3 innings last year with Miami and blew eight saves.
If Bell falters — which seems kind of inevitable — David Hernandez will likely get the next crack.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (115)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)