May 8, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
I wrote yesterday about how Ian Stewart wasn’t making any friends with the Cubs by basically taking a 72-hour vacation from the Triple-A team and today they outrighted the third baseman off the 40-man roster.
That means Stewart went unclaimed on waivers by the other 29 teams and will remain Cubs property at Triple-A, minus the 40-man roster spot. That makes a call-up even less likely, because they’d have to create a roster spot first.
It’s a non-issue for now because Stewart has hit .091 in 13 games so far and his $2 million contract made clearing waivers a no-brainer.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)