May 8, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
I wrote yesterday about how Ian Stewart wasn’t making any friends with the Cubs by basically taking a 72-hour vacation from the Triple-A team and today they outrighted the third baseman off the 40-man roster.
That means Stewart went unclaimed on waivers by the other 29 teams and will remain Cubs property at Triple-A, minus the 40-man roster spot. That makes a call-up even less likely, because they’d have to create a roster spot first.
It’s a non-issue for now because Stewart has hit .091 in 13 games so far and his $2 million contract made clearing waivers a no-brainer.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)