May 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Great news: Happ is out of the hospital:
— Chris Fischer (@ChrisFischer07) May 8, 2013
Not sure what the crutches would be for given that he was listed as having a contusion and a lacerated ear. Possibly just for stability. I presume the Blue Jays will update us with his status sometime today.
9:37 AM: Good news from Tampa Bay: Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ is in “good condition” and could be released from the hospital as early as today. Marc Topkin reports that he’s in “good spirits” and is looking forward to “getting back out there again.” UPDATE: The Jays say Happ suffered a head contusion and a laceration to his left ear.
And that, my friends, is what separates professional athletes from most of the rest of us. The rest of us who would be scared absolutely bonkers to step foot on a mound again after getting smacked like Happ was smacked last night.
Great news, though. Here’s hoping he’s back with the team tonight.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)