May 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Great news: Happ is out of the hospital:
— Chris Fischer (@ChrisFischer07) May 8, 2013
Not sure what the crutches would be for given that he was listed as having a contusion and a lacerated ear. Possibly just for stability. I presume the Blue Jays will update us with his status sometime today.
9:37 AM: Good news from Tampa Bay: Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ is in “good condition” and could be released from the hospital as early as today. Marc Topkin reports that he’s in “good spirits” and is looking forward to “getting back out there again.” UPDATE: The Jays say Happ suffered a head contusion and a laceration to his left ear.
And that, my friends, is what separates professional athletes from most of the rest of us. The rest of us who would be scared absolutely bonkers to step foot on a mound again after getting smacked like Happ was smacked last night.
Great news, though. Here’s hoping he’s back with the team tonight.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)