May 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Great news: Happ is out of the hospital:
— Chris Fischer (@ChrisFischer07) May 8, 2013
Not sure what the crutches would be for given that he was listed as having a contusion and a lacerated ear. Possibly just for stability. I presume the Blue Jays will update us with his status sometime today.
9:37 AM: Good news from Tampa Bay: Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ is in “good condition” and could be released from the hospital as early as today. Marc Topkin reports that he’s in “good spirits” and is looking forward to “getting back out there again.” UPDATE: The Jays say Happ suffered a head contusion and a laceration to his left ear.
And that, my friends, is what separates professional athletes from most of the rest of us. The rest of us who would be scared absolutely bonkers to step foot on a mound again after getting smacked like Happ was smacked last night.
Great news, though. Here’s hoping he’s back with the team tonight.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)