UPDATE: J.A. Happ released from the hospital

May 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays' pitcher J.A. Happ lays injured on the field against the Tampa Bay Rays during the second inning of their major league baseball game in St. Petersburg, Florida

UPDATE: Great news: Happ is out of the hospital:

Not sure what the crutches would be for given that he was listed as having a contusion and a lacerated ear. Possibly just for stability. I presume the Blue Jays will update us with his status sometime today.

9:37 AM: Good news from Tampa Bay: Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ is in “good condition” and could be released from the hospital as early as today. Marc Topkin reports that he’s in “good spirits” and is looking forward to “getting back out there again.” UPDATE: The Jays say Happ suffered a head contusion and a laceration to his left ear.

Great news, though. Here’s hoping he’s back with the team tonight.

1. henryd3rd - May 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Thank God he’s alright. This could have been far worst then it was. One wonders why pitchers never wear protective head gear while on the mound?

• Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Well, I gather that any sort of head gear would throw a pitcher off-balance and he would basically need to re-learn all of his mechanics. Also, other than a Motorcycle helmet, what kind of head gear could give all around good protection?

• sabatimus - May 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yeah, they’d have to at the very least begin with pitching helmets in instructional leagues when they’re kids (not sure if they do this now), and then literally grow into how it feels with their pitching mechanics. But Happ’s case would necessitate a full all-around-the-head helmet, and Happ’s case is far from unique, so I’m not sure how feasible such an apparatus would be.

• jm91rs - May 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

They use helmets around here at least up until high school. The kids don’t seem to mind, they just think its cool when they get to pitch. It’s basically a batters helmet without the ear protection. No way it would protect in a case like haps.

It does make me feel better as a parent though since my kid is standing so close to the business end of an aluminum bat.

I don’t see anything like that ever working on the big league level though.

• paperlions - May 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

MLB doesn’t permit pitchers to wear anything other than a standard team cap.

2. cur68 - May 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

He was hit pretty hard. Full credit to Happ’s hard head, the trainers and paramedics on the field, and the medical staff at Bayfront for looking after him. I’m beyond pleased he’s going to be ok. Took all the joy right out of that game for me after he got hit. Knowing he’s doing ok means I can go back to feeling good about the victory.

Another come-back Beaver-Win, babies! That’s 3 in a row. Wooooooooo!

Today its Moore v Romero. I don’t see this being an easy game for My Boys either, but Dog willing, the bats are still awake and Ricky got his groove back.

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

So I can go back to pouting? Cool.

Great news.

• cur68 - May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Easy kid. Your Boys got their best pitcher going. My Boys got . . . Ricky. I think this is a Beaver Loss. All I want is for them to at least show Ricky some run support. Give the kid some hope so that he doesn’t feel that he has to live on the corners and pitch like he’s throwing darts. The Lads’ only chance is if Ricky can keep it close and JoeMads HAS to pull Moore, THEN My Boys got some hope in this one. If Moore’s going well….forget it.

With any luck JA Happ will be in the dugout for the game and My Boys will show a bit of that ‘Ole Beaver Fire for him and play with TwTw.

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

All you have to do is take lots o’pitches. Force Matty out of the game early then wait for our *fab*u*lous* bullpen to come in.

/inconsolable wailing

• cur68 - May 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

take lots o’pitches

Surely you jest. Have you SEEN My Boys at the dish? Taking pitches is not what they do. If the ball isn’t over their heads or rolling past their toes, they all think they are Kirby Puckett. If they DO lay off a pitch out of the zone they stand a better than 50% chance of having it called a strike anyways on the whimsy of the umpire.

No, this will not be a case of winning by the “take lots o’pitches” method. This will be a case of winning if there are enough Devil Rayz Wayz errors and patented Tampa Bay NoRunSupport. The burden of My Boys winning lies squarely in the cement-like hands of Yunel Escobar and the curiously quiet bat of Evan “RaysWay” Longoria.

If there is a Dog In heaven, those two will see to it that your favourite relief pitchers Jake McMarmol McGee, Kyle “Farnsy” Farnsworth, and a soupçon of platano goodness in ‘Nando Rodeny thrown in for good measure are featured in this game. If its All Moore All Night, this will not go well for Le Beavers.

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Your hitters will show the patience of Job tonight. (Quit messing with my reverse jinx.)

• Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

THIS is the stuff comedy is made of :)

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I can live with a 3 to 4 score after 6 innings and a bull pen battle after that. In the last 2 games, the Rays have used 5 relief pitchers both times. Peralta is cooked and the closer threw about 35 pitches on Monday. For the Jays, Cecil, Rogers and Oliver are rested.

3. Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yay!

• indaburg - May 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yay!

4. proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Wow! Thank you for the update.

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

The crutches and knee brace indicate that a trip to the DL are still probable.

5. dasher521 - May 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

So good to see the news that he may be discharged today. I only watched the video once, but the shot was devastating. When he played for the Phillies, he seemed like one of the really good guys. Good luck in your recovery, JA.

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Agreed with dasher, he’s a good guy. That is a scary thign to see with anyone, but particularly sad to see it happen to a guy like that. Rest up, take your time coming back, and go get ‘em ace!

7. shaggylocks - May 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Oh, released from the hospital! Phew! Reading the headline I thought the Blue Jays were going to release him! That would have been the ultimate dick move.

8. jbeagles23 - May 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Francisco I don’t know if you’ve watched any really competitive softball but their pitchers have head gear Kind of looks like a gel pack

9. sportsdrenched - May 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Good news. I came to HBT looking for this thread and hoping all Happ would need is some tylenol and to rub some dirt on it.

10. sabatimus - May 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I’m glad that was a laceration on his ear. The first report I read said blood was coming OUT of his ear, which brings to mind injuries of a MUCH worse variety.

11. jaysfan64 - May 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Praise The Lord he’s in good condition..that video sickened me and I imagine anyone else who saw it…hope to see him in the Jays dugout tonight…

12. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

To come away from that with just a bruise and a cut on his ear would be tremendous.

13. apmn - May 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

“And that, my friends, is what separates professional athletes from most of the rest of us. The rest of us who would be scared absolutely bonkers to step foot on a mound again after getting smacked like Happ was smacked last night.”

No kidding. I would have to change underwear between innings if I had to get out there as a pitcher. I’m really glad he is okay.

14. madhatternalice - May 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

This is great news! I suspect the crutches may be for balance, if there’s any fear of his equilibrium being off.

• jerseygirl57 - May 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I would think crutches would make balance worse, not better (at least in my experience, never could wak with them). If I was having balance issues, I’d want a wheelchair.

Happy he’s released, hope he takes his time recuperating.

• madhatternalice - May 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

You may be right: I’m just speculating. A wheelchair would be typical, but maybe he didn’t want one? Who knows: I’m just glad he’s OK.

15. gregbeau - May 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

“X-rays of his head showed nothing…”

This boy may have a future in politics after his baseball days are done! :)

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3633)