Must-click link: The History of Baseball Stadium Nachos

May 8, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT

Click Here large

As far as ballpark staples go nachos and cheese are my No. 1 choice slightly ahead of hotdogs and malt cups, so I really enjoyed reading K. Annabelle Smith’s article for Smithsonian magazine about how they became such a fixture at baseball games.

The History Of Baseball Stadium Nachos

My childhood was filled with unsuccessful at-home attempts to mimic the nachos and cheese available at the Metrodome, which in retrospect were probably terrible and stunted my growth and made me dumber. But damn were they good at the time.

(Also, just so we’re clear: I’m only counting food on my above list of favorites. If we’re counting everything, then beer is No. 1 and everything else just depends what looks good to my brain after having beer.)

1. kalinedrive - May 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That’s a silly favorite and I shall mock you for favoring it over a hot dog (which should be the top of everyone’s list) or even a hamburger or chicken fingers or cracker jack or pizza or…

2. rbj1 - May 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

“According to the Food and Drug Administration’s standards, the sauce is technically not “cheese,” ”

It’s actually an alien life form.

• stabonerichard - May 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM

So in other words, extraterrestrial jizz.

3. hojo20 - May 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

This was on the History Channel a few years ago. Without looking…I believe this occurred at Arlington Stadium.

4. jwbiii - May 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Nachos are a dumbed down version of chilaquiles, a tradition breakfast meal.

5. anxovies - May 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Gringos don’t understand nachos. Gotta have jalapenos.

6. mazblast - May 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

A few years back, I worked occasionally as a volunteer at a concession stand at the GASP (your group gets the money normally paid to concession stand workers). At least back then, if you ordered nachos you got two out of three toppings–“cheese sauce”, salsa, or jalapenos. The one job I didn’t want and didn’t get was making nachos because you would wind up smelling like the “cheese sauce”. I wound up selling alleged beer and smelled like stale Bud Light, but at least that washed off fairly easily, plus I wasn’t tempted to drink the profits.

I love nachos, but only with jalapenos and real cheese.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto