May 8, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Sanchez has been the worst pitcher in baseball since the beginning of last season, going 1-12 with an 8.73 ERA, .330 opponents’ batting average, and more walks (61) than strikeouts (60) in 78 innings. That includes an 11.25 ERA for the Pirates, which consists of 18 runs in 13.2 innings.
Sanchez is only 29 years old and not that far removed from throwing a no-hitter and being a high-strikeout starter with some upside, but it’s hard to overstate how awful he’s been.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)