May 8, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Sanchez has been the worst pitcher in baseball since the beginning of last season, going 1-12 with an 8.73 ERA, .330 opponents’ batting average, and more walks (61) than strikeouts (60) in 78 innings. That includes an 11.25 ERA for the Pirates, which consists of 18 runs in 13.2 innings.
Sanchez is only 29 years old and not that far removed from throwing a no-hitter and being a high-strikeout starter with some upside, but it’s hard to overstate how awful he’s been.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)