May 8, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Sanchez has been the worst pitcher in baseball since the beginning of last season, going 1-12 with an 8.73 ERA, .330 opponents’ batting average, and more walks (61) than strikeouts (60) in 78 innings. That includes an 11.25 ERA for the Pirates, which consists of 18 runs in 13.2 innings.
Sanchez is only 29 years old and not that far removed from throwing a no-hitter and being a high-strikeout starter with some upside, but it’s hard to overstate how awful he’s been.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)