May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Any potential Mike Olt call-up will have to wait a while, because the Rangers prospect is on the disabled list at Triple-A with vision problems.
Here’s what general manager Jon Daniels told Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Dallas about Olt’s status:
He’s seen a couple of different eye doctors that specialize in a couple of things. They have not found anything conclusive at this point. We’ve scheduled him to see another specialist in about 10 days to two weeks. In the meantime, we’ll put him on the DL based on his symptoms. We don’t want to put the guy at the plate when he’s having vision issues. Hopefully we’ll know more after he sees that specialist.
Olt, who made his MLB debut with the Rangers last August and ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of the best prospects, last played on April 25 and hit just .135 before being shut down. Sharma reports that there’s some fear the concussion he suffered while playing winter ball may be a factor in the vision problems.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (80)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)