May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Any potential Mike Olt call-up will have to wait a while, because the Rangers prospect is on the disabled list at Triple-A with vision problems.
Here’s what general manager Jon Daniels told Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Dallas about Olt’s status:
He’s seen a couple of different eye doctors that specialize in a couple of things. They have not found anything conclusive at this point. We’ve scheduled him to see another specialist in about 10 days to two weeks. In the meantime, we’ll put him on the DL based on his symptoms. We don’t want to put the guy at the plate when he’s having vision issues. Hopefully we’ll know more after he sees that specialist.
Olt, who made his MLB debut with the Rangers last August and ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of the best prospects, last played on April 25 and hit just .135 before being shut down. Sharma reports that there’s some fear the concussion he suffered while playing winter ball may be a factor in the vision problems.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)