May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Any potential Mike Olt call-up will have to wait a while, because the Rangers prospect is on the disabled list at Triple-A with vision problems.
Here’s what general manager Jon Daniels told Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Dallas about Olt’s status:
He’s seen a couple of different eye doctors that specialize in a couple of things. They have not found anything conclusive at this point. We’ve scheduled him to see another specialist in about 10 days to two weeks. In the meantime, we’ll put him on the DL based on his symptoms. We don’t want to put the guy at the plate when he’s having vision issues. Hopefully we’ll know more after he sees that specialist.
Olt, who made his MLB debut with the Rangers last August and ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of the best prospects, last played on April 25 and hit just .135 before being shut down. Sharma reports that there’s some fear the concussion he suffered while playing winter ball may be a factor in the vision problems.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)