May 8, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Any potential Mike Olt call-up will have to wait a while, because the Rangers prospect is on the disabled list at Triple-A with vision problems.
Here’s what general manager Jon Daniels told Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Dallas about Olt’s status:
He’s seen a couple of different eye doctors that specialize in a couple of things. They have not found anything conclusive at this point. We’ve scheduled him to see another specialist in about 10 days to two weeks. In the meantime, we’ll put him on the DL based on his symptoms. We don’t want to put the guy at the plate when he’s having vision issues. Hopefully we’ll know more after he sees that specialist.
Olt, who made his MLB debut with the Rangers last August and ranked 22nd on Baseball America‘s annual list of the best prospects, last played on April 25 and hit just .135 before being shut down. Sharma reports that there’s some fear the concussion he suffered while playing winter ball may be a factor in the vision problems.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)