Ricky Romero pulled in first inning of second start

May 8, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT

ricky romero getty Getty Images

So it appears that one good start at High-A Dunedin did not completely fix all of Ricky Romero’s issues.

The left-hander was lifted with just one out in the first inning of his start Wednesday night in Tampa Bay after allowing three earned runs on four hits and two walks versus the Rays. It was his second start since being promoted to majors last Friday and he now has a 12.46 ERA and 2.77 WHIP in 4 1/3 total frames.

Romero had a 5.77 ERA, 1.67 WHIP and 105/124 K/BB ratio in 181 innings last season and was kept off the Jays’ Opening Day roster after a rough spring. But he was given another shot after throwing seven innings of one-run ball against the Brewers’ affiliate in the Florida State League on April 27. Romero will probably be sent back to the minor leagues later this week.

1. jaysfan64 - May 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Mishandled badly by the Jays who had other options available…now who knows how this is going to turn out…

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM

What other options?

• jaysjunkie - May 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

This is a tough one. I agree, their options were limited, but I’d rather have had some stiff from Buffalo come up and get shelled than have Ricky out there and clearly not fixed yet, meaning we’re right back to square one with him.

Although he didn’t look very good tonight, I was still really surprised at how quick Gibby pulled him.

2. jaysfan64 - May 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Bush, Germano, Vargas, Gonzalez, hell, even Cecil could go 3 innings or so…Ricky ready after one A ball start?? He was rushed…tell ya this: McGowan’s rehab will be ramped up now…they can’t let Ricky start another game with the big club…but now they may have no choice for Happ’s start on Sunday…in Fenway no less..

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Those are not very good options. Unfortunately one of them will have to pitch on Sunday.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

you need to lighten up proudly, jaysfan listed many many many good options!! AA is printing up playoff tickets as we speak!!

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

If you watched tonight’s game, you would know why Gonzalez is not a good option.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I love the idea of Bush pitching, please oh please start him or i will even take him in the bullpen!!

• jaysjunkie - May 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I know it’s best not to encourage the fuckwits by acknowledging their posts, but I just had to laugh at harry being right back to his usual poorly spelled drivel one day after stunningly showing some compassion on this site, and towards a Blue Jay (J.A. Happ) no less!

• dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

get out you guys still have McGowan? Oh man how ive missed him on the hill!! Its a real shame he hasnt pitched a big league game in like 2 years. excellent career numbers too but the 4.80 ERA along with the boat load of walks (154 in 370 innings) are the numbers that jump out at me and make me smile : )

• tuberippin - May 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Your winner, and still the undisputed HardBallTalk champion of shit-talking and douchebaggery….dirtyharry1971, ladies and gentlemen. Unfortunately, he’ll be here all week.

• abaird2012 - May 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I dunno … I’m starting to get used to him.

3. randygnyc - May 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Way to crush his confidence. Why pull him after 29 pitches? Give the guy a chance to get his feel back.

• flamethrower101 - May 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM

The way the Jays have been going he probably would’ve given up 20 runs if they had let him.

4. 13arod - May 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

i feel sorry for hope he finds it soon i don’t like seeing a pitcher struggle

• hittfamily - May 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I couldn’t have said it better myself

5. dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Ok the good news is this, the Jays were not the worst team in the AL pitching wise, that belonged to the astros. The bad news is they have given up 10 runs thru 6 innings and the astros have given up only 1 thru 6 so they are trying their best to catch the stros for the worst team pitching in the AL.

6. jaysfan64 - May 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I know…options are slim…but tonight Gibbons just could not leave him out there – zero command…now with Happ out their options are extremely limited…but can you risk another 1/3 inning start from Romero?

• dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

No no, you were right jaysfan64 there are many many options you have and i like them all. I wish they could get all of those options on the team ASAP!! You were dead right and i respect you as the only true jays fan on here. You are ok in my book

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Jaysfan, I can’t imagine how you feel right now… I mean… well…. being endorsed by DirtyHarry and all. It’s ok, though, because despite all that, WE still respect you.

7. dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You know im not sure if i like the jays starters better or the bullpen? Its a coin toss almost!! But if i had a gun to my head and had to choose i think id have to pick the starters, yea thats where my heart is….

• proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

LOL Harry! Are you saying that if you aimed for your head, you would probably shoot yourself in the heart? Do not do it. Craig would ban you if you advocated violence against yourself.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM

shoot myself in the heart and die? no way, well at least not this year, i cant miss this train wreck that has become known as the 2013 bluejays season

• tuberippin - May 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Harry shoot himself in the heart? NOBODY is a good enough shot to hit a target that small. Even less chance of hitting anything vital if he had a gun to his head.

8. melkipershero - May 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

The Jays are the 2013 Paper MLB Champs. Like the Angels of 2012. Again goes to show flashy doesn’t always equal wins. Toronto messed up when they brought in their manager.

• tuberippin - May 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Now this is an astute statement.

9. randygnyc - May 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Have to acknowledge Harry’s commitment. If nothing else, he’s persistent.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

you should see me at party’s, im a blast and everyone knows when im there let me tell ya

• rigatonikid - May 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Everybody heading for the exits? Let’s just hope it’s in an orderly fashion.

• indaburg - May 9, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I’m very suspicious of dirtyharry. For someone who hates the Jays so much, he sure knows an awful lot about them and spends a lot of time talking about them. He’s a Jays fan who likes to troll his own fan base. I’m convinced.

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I agree, ‘Burgie… he is far too knowledgeable to be anything BUT a closet fan… unless he IS actually just a well-informed troll. Ah, the mysteries of life…

10. 303bengalguy - May 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

get a job Harry.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM

i got one, i talk about the bluejays which is a lot more then what you do

11. jaysfan64 - May 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Well, Harry, your job definitely doesn’t involve proper grammar/spelling, so we know you’re not a writer…and if you talk about the Jays as part of your job, then that’d put you in the industry, correct?

12. rockthered1286 - May 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I’ll take my stab- me thinks Harry is an ornithological fecal specialist. Essentially he devoted his life to talking shit about birds, focusing on them there Jays.

13. jaybird22seven - May 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Back to the minors you go !!!!

• abaird2012 - May 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Who, Harry or Ricky?

• mazblast - May 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

14. nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Talk about bad karma…. J.A. Happ gets a comebacker to the bean, but Ricky is the one with the gremlins in his scrambled noggin right now. I sure hope he gets the time he needs to work this out. I’d love to see the 2011 Ricky Romero back in the majors.

15. jaysfan64 - May 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I somehow feel unclean..as though I need a shower….

• mazblast - May 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Persistent losing will do that to you. As a Pirates fan, I speak from experience.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)