May 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
As promised, Roy Halladay addressed the media a few minutes ago. The verdict: he has bone spurs in his shoulder as well as a partially frayed labrum and rotator cuff. CSNPhilly has the whole story here.
That sounds scary and, yes, it is serious. But there’s an optimistic angle to it all too: the labrum and rotator cuff issues are not serious. And he is going to have surgery to remove the bone spurs on which the rotator cuff kept rubbing, causing pain and irritation. Halladay says that if the doctors, once they get in there, find the same situation that presented itself on the MRI, he could come back this season.
We knew it wasn’t going to be good news. But it certainly could have been way worse.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)