Roy Halladay to have shoulder surgery; could still pitch this year

May 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

Roy Halladay Getty Getty Images

As promised, Roy Halladay addressed the media a few minutes ago. The verdict: he has bone spurs in his shoulder as well as a partially frayed labrum and rotator cuff. CSNPhilly has the whole story here.

That sounds scary and, yes, it is serious. But there’s an optimistic angle to it all too: the labrum and rotator cuff issues are not serious. And he is going to have surgery to remove the bone spurs on which the rotator cuff kept rubbing, causing pain and irritation. Halladay says that if the doctors, once they get in there, find the same situation that presented itself on the MRI, he could come back this season.

We knew it wasn’t going to be good news. But it certainly could have been way worse.

1. baseballicious - May 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Uh oh! retracted. Hear me out before you judge: I’m happy he needs the surgery, it means that there was actually something physical that was keeping him from being the Ace he has always been.

Of course, the better option would’ve been no surgery at all.

• drunkenhooliganism - May 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yeah, the fact that his problem was that he has a bone spur chopping up his labrum and rotator cuff affecting his ability to repeat his delivery is much better news than “we didn’t find anything, put a fork in him.”

2. proudlycanadian - May 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Relatively good news. Doc has recovered from injuries before and will probably do so this time.

3. geoknows - May 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

“Flayed” labrum just cracked me up…

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Has Ramsey Bolton gone to work on Halladay’s pitching shoulder?

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Now now, don’t be a spoiler. It might get you flayed.

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The books have been out for how many years? I’m sorry, it’s not a spoiler just because you choose to ignore the original medium. Oh, by the way, Bard kills Smaug and Thorin totally bites it.

I’m pretty sure show-watchers have no idea who Ramsey is yet, though.

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

You know, you would think that the fact that I referred to the flaying and, if you watch the series, there’s been no mention of it yet, you can correctly infer, Kevin, that i’ve read the books and was cracking a bit of a joke.

Deep breaths pal, deep breaths.

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My apologies for using the impersonal you there and causing confusion. And I’ve been castigated elsewhere for “spoiling” something that’s been in print for over a decade, so I was pretty primed to go off the next time I heard that complaint.

• tommyshih - May 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hopefully Craig meant “frayed.” Otherwise I’m a little wary of the Philly pitching coach’s methodology.

Now, are labrum and rotator cuff issues ever something to not worry about? Irritation and pain sometimes leads to compensation and minor mechanical changes can place stress on parts of the body not used to bearing the stress of the throwing motion. I am hopeful that they caught this pretty early and prevented lasting damage though. Get well, Doc.

• raysfan1 - May 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Pretty sure also that the “not serious” part is simply in comparison to a torn labrum or rupture of one of the rotator cuff tendons. The arthroscopic surgery and post-op rehab should be less complicated as long as more extensive damage is not found intraoperatively..

• tommyshih - May 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

That’s a reasonable take on it. It just seems a little odd, making that statement before doing the arthro since there are many stories of finding all kinds of damage and junk once the surgeon gets in there. I’d hate to see what ANY MLB pitcher’s labrum or rotator cuff looks like near the end of their career.

4. sdelmonte - May 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Note to Phils: if there is nothing at stake when Doc is healthy again, don’t bring him back just for show in September. Save that arm for next year.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Not to get too far ahead – but seeing how his 2012 went, and how his abbreviated 2013 went, seeing his age, and seeing what a competitor he is, there is not a chance that if he is healthy in September that he will not want the ball every 5th day

• Francisco (FC) - May 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

True. He will want to demonstrate he can a Force to be Reckoned With. So September would be an audition for the following year if there’s no playoff in sight.

• sdelmonte - May 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The question is, should he be allowed if the Phils aren’t contending? I am always gun-shy about rushing things. Then again, my sample set is Johan Santana.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I agree he shold not be rushed – my point was that the Phillies will not be the one rushing things. Pluse – if the Phillies are not in contention, and they say “Take the September off”, and he says “No, I want this”, frankly, they owe it to him.

Again, all hypothetical – lets see how the sugery goes and the rehab

• sdelmonte - May 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

All I can add is that I am rooting for his recovery. Against everyone but the Mets.

• chadjones27 - May 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Why not rush him back? Isn’t he a free agent at the end of this year? He won’t have his option picked up. If they have a chance to compete, wouldn’t a Halladay with bum shoulder be better that bringing Tyle Cloyd out there every 5 days.

5. flamethrower101 - May 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

As much as I like hearing that worst case was avoided, I’m still a little concerned. To hear them say that the rotator cuff and labrum injuries are “not serious” is concerning. All shoulder injuries are serious because they’re considered trickier for pitchers to recover from than elbow injuries.

While I’m glad the possibility for a rerun this year remains open, I would not be surprised at all if he didn’t come back this year. After he pushed through soreness for 2 starts and sucked in both, he’s gotta be really patient with his rehab and just let this run its course

6. mungman69 - May 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

When Doc comes back he won’t have any excuses. He’ll still be old.

• evanwins - May 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Like Roger Clemens who won the Cy Young at 42?
      Or Like Randy Johnson who won it 4 straight years from the ages of 34-38?
      Wait, you mean like Curt Schilling who finished 2nd in Cy Young 3 times at ages 35, 37, and, 38?
      No, it’s like Nolan Ryan who had a 3.19 ERA from ages 35-40?

Old like which one? Or are you going to throw out a guy who never had any success and pitched late into his years and compare him to Halladay?

• senioreditor2 - May 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Different game now……not so easy to take something extra anymore. The age of 40 yr olds winning awards is gone.

• GoneYickitty - May 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Funny that all the guys you mentioned had devastating fastballs in their late 30’s (or later) and at least one of them augmented that with blatant cheating. Doc hasn’t had a fastball that would scare big league hitters for many summers and now he’ll be an even older guy who will be trying to come back from shoulder surgery. What a terrible combination. Who knows, maybe he’ll learn a good knuckleball.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Or Jamie Moyer – who won 165 games after the age Halladay will be in September

7. heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

“Craig, you suck!!” …….. no, I don’t feel better, or more accomplished, haven’t made any kind of supportable point. Feels a little juvenile.

Those boys need some meds perhaps, or maybe I need the med they’re on to feel what they’re feeling when they spew those three words.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Do you need a sammich??? Don’t worry about the trolls, man. They’re a blast to make fun of.

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I trolled the troll, and look at that beautiful rant below. All in a matter of hours! Phew, tough nut to crack let me tell you.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

See, now this is just sad. harry does much better work. He knows his audience and gets in some educated jabs. It’s randomly entertaining. This, on the other hand, just embarrasses trolls. They should kick you out at the next meeting. I want you to come back with something interesting. Try and top “I hope your legs grow together!”

• heyblueyoustink - May 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I find this forum great for information on the rest of the league, I get all the Phillies info i need just by turning on the radio or TV, the commentary is normally entertaining, and the fact that the head admin is both a Braves fan and former Lawyer gives me all the reason to try and out smart ass him.

I even like good trolling when I get it. You, frankly, are a disappointment in that area.

• historiophiliac - May 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Seriously. You’re the suckiest troll ever. You’re not at all funny and you’re not even that mean. Are you a beginner? I think *I’ve* trolled blue harder than that, and I like him. I kinda feel sorry for you. Maybe we can all give you pointers…

• craigisaloser - May 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Please please give me pointers on being as lame of a troll as you….

8. evanwins - May 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM

While this is good news for Halladay it puts the Phillies in a bad situation with regards to the rest of their season. I know everyone believes they’re not a competitive team but the fact remains it’s still the 1st week of April and they’re still competing (3 GB in both division and wc). So what do they do if their on the bubble come the deadline and they are about to get a completely healthy Halladay back?

It would have been easier if they knew he was definitely out all season.

9. mungman69 - May 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Those pitchers who won late were all on roids. Hopefully they ( roids ) are out of the game.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Jamie Moyer was on Roids?

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

While I have absolutely no reason to believe Jamie Moyer was on roids, there’s as much reason to suspect him as there is to suspect Johnson, Schilling and Ryan. Not all users were flame-throwers and sluggers, and not all flame-throwers and sluggers were users.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I would not be suprised on any of those three either.

• Kevin S. - May 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I would be surprised by no one, but I also make no assumptions about anyone without evidence. Johnson, Schilling, Ryan and Moyer are all in the same boat – no evidence against them besides when they pitched.

10. mgflolox - May 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I certainly hope he comes back from this. I’m not a Phillies Phan, but I am a big fan of excellence, and Doc personifies pitching excellence when he’s on his game.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate